Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Independent Literacy And Numeracy Activities

Hi there,

I am new to this so I hope I have posted this in the right place!! I would really love some help with thinking of some independent activities in Literacy and Numeracy. We have a writing area with letters, postcards, envelopes, news, blank lists, blank instructions, invitations, birthday cards etc and also secret diaries which the children are really loving at the moment. The children can and do come and take what they want but I am a bit stuck with thinking of some exciting phonics activities that the children might choose to do independently. These tables are often empty!

In MD I am finding it a real struggle to think of something exciting for NLC and Calculating. I have used necklace treading and counting how many they have and building a wooden block tower and writing the numbers on them but the children get bored of these activities very quickly! Any suggestions would be great!

Many thanks!

Sorry Arees - I am particularly brain dead this evening but I will give some thought to your question.

I wanted to welcome you to the Forum though - make yourself at home!

Maz

Hello!

Adding a 1 minute sand timer to the maths table often makes the tasks more attractive - how many beads can you thread/ bricks can you build/shapes can you draw or sort etc in 1 minute is a winner with my class. They then of course have to record their results on a Champion chart - name writing practice and number recognition with a purpose - plus you are getting their idea of what recording is.

I have also used phonemes - how many letter 'a's etc can you pick up with tweezers in one minute - physical skills too!

Another good one is to get an old 'mug tree' plus lots of wooden curtain rings +tweezers or those fab tongs from Asda FOR 36P! Children pick up rings with tongs or tweezers and put onto branch of 'tree' - good for developing hand/eye co-ordination, grip, and counting/recording.

Good luck!, Jenni

A warm welcome to the forum!

Last term our children loved finding plastic letters hidden in shaving foam, and then matching them up with another from an adjacent table. You could make your own if you have a laminator :o

For calculating, how about making little paper or card boats and tiny people and setting up an island scene. How many people in the boat/on the island/in the water! etc. You could do this with a train and carriages too; if you have ten people, how can you spread them out into the carriages so there are a least two people in each? Those sorts of questions you could vary each day.

Beans, split peas lentils etc in a bowls. Have junk eg youhurt pots and scoops/spoons, see how many scoops to fill each one, mine love it. Then they record it. Also played today estimating writing how many cubes, bricks anything really to fill a welly, write estimate then test then record again! :oxD

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)