Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking Yr To Y2

Guest lahayman

Guest lahayman

Can anyone help?! Our school is having an ongoing argument about using FSP scores to track / target set pupil progress in Y2 SATS. Despite FS staff maintaining that there is no correlation between FSP scores and NC levels, the head and KS1 staff want something to track critical pathways. What are other people using? How are you doing this? Any information would be wonderful!!! Thanks.

You will find this has been discussion before if you do a search. AND yes it is being used to predict scores at KS1 and KS2 SATs, regardless of whether the data is tranferable or appropriate!!!

I have been talking about this today with my Head. Last year when I took over as Foundation leader, I said I wouldn't predict targets for end of year 1 at the end of reception. She was fine with this. However county have now said that she HAS to give in targets, not only for end of year 1 but for the KS1 sats. this has to be done during the autumn term after the children have left reception. Luckily she has not asked me to predict them, and now the year 1 teacher has to set their sats targets after teaching them for part of the autumn term.

Mrs L good to read you are keeping to your principles!

All schools have to set targets in the Autumn term and how they decide on the process is complicated and up to individual schools. LA are not asking schools to use FSP scores in fact my LA activley discourages this and if you look at the NAA website you will see that

EYFS profile scale points and accumulative scale point scores are statutory assessments in their own right. They are not equivalent to any national curriculum levels or sub-levels and no such equation should be made.

A good tracking process in Y1 following on from the good work of EYFS should enable all HT to make infomed judegements when target setting.

Keep to your principles folks!

As an F1 teacher and FS co-ordinator, I was given a document by our head that scales scores to predict results for each year group from F1 through to year 6. The FSP scores are used to predict Y1 scores in the core subjects and these go into the children's tracking files. I'm not sure where this document originated, but can investigate if you wish.

Sounds like Essex Target Tracker. Yes it can do its own conversion but in the end the Foundation Stage Profile was NEVER meant to predict what children are likely to get at the end of Y1 and onwards. If we keep dancing to this tune then we will forever be dancing a dance that is not right!

Some of the children leaving foundation stage are only just five years old. What we need to make sure is that their needs are being met, they are learning in a way that meets their needs. They will then have self esteem in that they feel successful and so will succeed!

Sorry to rant but I really do believe that we are continually having to shield the top down model when what we should be doing is building on what goes before!

• 3 weeks later...
As an F1 teacher and FS co-ordinator, I was given a document by our head that scales scores to predict results for each year group from F1 through to year 6. The FSP scores are used to predict Y1 scores in the core subjects and these go into the children's tracking files. I'm not sure where this document originated, but can investigate if you wish.

I too would be interested in your tracking document as my head is insisting that pupil tracking begins in Reception & continues through to Year6 as OFTED require this during inspection.I am a Reception teacher who has used the FSP for tracking but the Head now wants point scores & predictions from baseline scores.Ossie

This discussion has recently been started in my setting too - so i would be interested in seeing the document - but also in how other schools address the tracking/target setting from EYFSP scores issues - any enlightening answers greatly recieved! XX

Can anyone help?! Our school is having an ongoing argument about using FSP scores to track / target set pupil progress in Y2 SATS. Despite FS staff maintaining that there is no correlation between FSP scores and NC levels, the head and KS1 staff want something to track critical pathways. What are other people using? How are you doing this? Any information would be wonderful!!! Thanks.

the year 1 and Year 2 staff at our school do use something to track on from FSP although I agree with you that there is no correlation between NC and FSP - I am not sure off the top of my head what it is they use but will find out and get back to you - we seem to be a nation of target setters - is this so that we can actually prove that we are succeeding or failing - I'm not sure but hey there you go

g

the year 1 and Year 2 staff at our school do use something to track on from FSP although I agree with you that there is no correlation between NC and FSP - I am not sure off the top of my head what it is they use but will find out and get back to you - we seem to be a nation of target setters - is this so that we can actually prove that we are succeeding or failing - I'm not sure but hey there you go

g

Thanks Glynnis - look forward to haering about the process / systems they use - it sure is a minefield out there!!!!

WB_Guidance_for_progress_FSP___Y1.doc

Hi

It's so true it's a minefield but in our school it is just expected that we target set and track from the start.

Here's what I've got from out Local Authority which basically says that if they get 6 or 7 profile scale points then they should Level 1b or L1a at the end of Y1 and 2c or 2b by the end of Y2.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)