Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Please Help

Hi Caz -

I'll let others more experienced than me give you any fresh views but, as you'd expect, a lot of conversation has been had already. I thought I'd point you in the direction of some of them:

First off, here's a whole bunch of conversations which I found from doing a search

Here's one I think you might find interesting on JP v Letterland

When to introduce Jolly Phonics

Hope these help! :)

Just my personal opinion-i prefer to beign phonics by teaching children to discriminate sounds in nursery. We play lots of "what can you hear when I say....."

Then we progress to graphic recog and i will say "and this is how we write it" emphasising the first phonmee by wriitng it down. it seems to work really well with the chidlren and you can pitch it at the young/lessablewiththeinitialsoundsandthe older/more able with the grapheme/phoneme connection.

This makes it an enjoyable expereince and can be done informally at any time. We do it with days of the week, the snack of the day etc etc.and makes it immediate and of persoanl relevance for the chidlren.

That said i use the jolly phonics actions for the sounds but not the sheets etc. I have made 26 bags for each phonic sound (with objects)and leave a few of these out for the chidlren to play and sort out.

I have found in the past that children will be able to identify the phoneme but have no idea how to use it in day to day sound discrimination. The informal but dialy system i use now gets chidlfren use to hearing thei nitial sounds in words. Then we do final sounds and then segmentation of c-v-c words.

I hope thats of some use

Honestly i can spell but my touch typing seems to be getting worse. You wont beleive me if i tell you that i learnt typing and hae been typing for the last 25 years. Must be age making my fingers tap in the wrong order. My excuse!!!!

hi caz and welcome, if I've not done that before!

I would tend to agree with Leo that you can play lots of sound dicrimination and differentiaition games in nursery as a preliminary to phonics work. If you are going to teach phonics then I would recomend Jolly Phonics. You do not need to use the photocopiable sheets and can do teach letter/sound correspondence and recognition.

Jolly Phonics has been the most successful phonics method I have used and my nephew was doing really well with sounds & actions in his nursery before he went on to school.

We started Jolly Phonics this term simply because a lot of our children over the last year, who had speech problems were put on it by their speech therapist. In fact you would have thought that they were on a bonus for JF by the number that recommended we did it.

Anyway, I researched it and decided that we would introduce the actions with the sounds. We donn't do the work sheets in the book (ugh work sheets), but the children enjoy the actions and remember the sounds that go with them. We also put out items that start with the letter sound that they play with over the week. We introduce it during circle time in the morning and refresh them during the week.

Up to now this term it has gone really well. I would certainly recommend doing some of it.

Good luck. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)