Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Self-selection

I am in the middle of changing my classroom into self selection areas. I have already completed my construction area and it's working very well with the children. We have boxes for each set of toys and they are labelled with photos and writing. Im now looking forward to starting my next areas but I would be grateful to see some photos of how other areas are set up..furniture etc. Thank you x

I took over as supervisor at our pre-school at the begining of term, there was no self selection whatsoever as the previous supervisor didn't believe in it.

Unfortunately it is a struggle trying to convince one of my deputys and also an ex deputy who is now "just" an assistant. Their main problem is they think the children will just tip all the boxes out and not bother playhing with it or putting it away again.

I've managed to convince them slightly and have put in place an art/craft self selection trolley with paper, pens/crayons/pencils, stencils, shape cutters etc and this is working fine so far.

We've just been given details of a grant of up to £5000 we can get to improve the way we deliver eyfs so i've found some large trolleys on wheels with boxes in so i am really hoping that the children prove me wrong and actually play with the things and not just tip them all out and leave them :o

I'd be interested to hear how other people get on with self selection?

Peggy put some lovely photos of her old setting on another thread HERE.

May be some inspiration, she has certainly inspired me with the senses draws and am going to make some for my setting!! :o

Thanks shiny, funnily enough I came across that thread earlier today for some reason, I agree, the sense ones are fantastic, I'll definately try something like that xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)