Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Good Ideas Welcome Here!

Hi. My daugher has an interview at Gloucester Uni (Cheltenham) next saturday for Primary Ed. She has a 5 minute presentation to give. They say:

'For your presentation, bring an item that you might use with a group of children to encourage them to learn. During your presentation you should explain why you have chosen your item, what age children you would use it with and how you would use it to help children to learn something. Be prepared to discuss the relationship between teaching and learning.'

When we went for the open day the lecturer made reference to a candidate last year to brought a potato as her object. Some of the learning opportunities she drew out of it were: potato printing, growth, the history aspect (Sir Walter Raleigh was it who introduced it?), the foodstuffs it would make and why it was good for our nutrition.... etc.

Does anyone have any good ideas we might be able to use?

PS She's really interested in the 5-11 age range if that helps - early years? Not a chance! Think I have put her off LOL!)

(I thought of a candle but, of course, mum's know nothing at all...... lol)

Edited by Guest

Off the top of my head-a banana or a message in a bottle (a piece of paper rolled and sealed in a bottle)

Is it more to do with questioning and where it could take learning?

Where did it come from? How did it get here? Who did it belong too? What shall we do with it? How can we find out about...

If she can come up with those sorts of question she could take anythiing

Thanks, those are exactly the kind of ideas I was after.... keep them coming. Cos I'm mum and know nothing, I can print them off and give them to her for inspiration! No doubt she'll come up with something of her own but hey, worth a try!

Difficult to get your hands on - a crystal ball. Science -light ,refraction , materials and texture , all sorts of creative writing- descriptive vocab, fantasy writing , maths- weight estimation , divising ways to measure circumfrences, Drama - ideas are endless. Any good /

How about the ice hand as described in another post I just read about ice cubes!! I love the message in a bottle idea - I might do that with my littlies next week!!

As someone who has just left Gloucestershire Uni (admittedly PGCE), I can say that the Education department love the ideas that think outside of the box! The more imaginative and unusual the better! :o

The crystal ball idea is inspired! I also particularly like the message in a bottle idea - lots of links to Literacy, History, Drama... I can think of a couple of lecturers who would really like it as well.

If your daughter has any queries about the Uni, don't hesitate to PM me, happy to help! Best of luck to her! xD

Rosey x

Edited by Rosey

The message in a bottle iremains no. 1 favourite at the moment!

now I feel responsible for her future :o and an interest i the outcome!!

My 15 year old has been mapping out her plans for the future to me and her dad this afternoon-which exams she will take at A level, what she will do in the summer when she has finished her exams and how she will go to Loughborough uni as they have a good engineering programme !!

I'm not sure whether to be pleased she has these plans or worried that if it doesn't go as plan (and we all know lifes like that!!) that shes going to take a knock Made me think I'm not too behind you in supporting her Uni application like you are doing with your daughter so I hope it goes well and keep us informed

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a big thank you for the fab idea of Message in a Bottle. Daughter No 2 had her interview in Cheltenham last saturday and it went really well and, she has a conditional offer already!!

We spent yesterday in Manchester Met for another interview which also went well so hopefully she will have another offer soon to add to the collection!! Interestingly both Chester and Manchester both offer 4 year courses, saying that their students are much better prepared for their first teaching posts. Any comments?!

Biccy, you can't really influence their choices or decisions but being there to help them think through what they want and just listening seems the way to go... at least in our house.

No. 1 daughter is studying mechanical engineering in Manchester and we had absolutely no input into any of her applications! Yesterday though, with her sister I was planning to beetle off and have a day out - art gallery lunch with daughter No 1 etc.... but I was told fair and square I wasn't allowed to leave straight away and she wanted me to sit in the welcome talk with her.... you could have knocked me over with a feather! Me - wanted? xD:o:(

it went really well and, she has a conditional offer already!!

Brilliant!!! I'm so glad its going well.better to have too many offers.

offer 4 year courses, saying that their students are much better prepared for their first teaching posts. Any comments

Totally agree!!! having worked with many NQT's

Does she know which she prefers?

I have no comments to offer on the second part of your post LJW but I wanted to say a big congratulations to your daughter on doing so well. It does wonders for the confidence to have an offer in the bag so to speak - I hope she is able to sort out all her options and make the right choice for her!

You must be so proud!

Maz

A huge congratulations to your daughter, what fantastic news! :o

As a PGCE student, I have to be really honest and do wonder whether I'm fully prepared for my first teaching post. I know I can do it, and do it well, but I do frequently wonder whether I should have done the 4 year BEd instead (although a few universities are turning these courses into 3 years instead!) and then I'd feel more confident and prepared. I do think that those who do 3 or 4 years are better prepared, and I wouldn't be surprised if that extra year makes all the difference. I think the most important thing for your daughter is to like the university itself and area surrounding it, the more settled and happy she is there then the more she'll florish on teaching practice! xD

Rosey x

I went to MMU as you know and I think I was better prepared for teaching than those who did the PGCE. I thought it was a great course with plenty of varied teaching experiences!