Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Focussed Handwriting Sessions

Hello, Happy New Year folks.

Last year we were visited by the lovely ofsted. The school came out as excellent, the FS unit good. The only area that they said we could improve was 'handwriting'. Honestly there is nothing wrong with our handwriting but now our Lit coodinator has got a bee in her bonnet and a mission to improve it!

I teach in F1, we teach handwriting when we write with the chidlren and we tie it into our phonics. I also do a weekly gross motor skills session, linked to handwriting following the penpals scheme (similar to write dance). Should I be doing a pen to paper/sand/cornflour medium type hanswriting activity each week? F2 move the children forwards by doing such a session every week. I am happy with the job I am doing, laying the foundations, focussing on the muscles and movement. Am i right?

Hi - I would say I think you are doing the right thing yes! I think you should continue as you are offering gross and fine motor skills that will help children develop into good handwriters later on.

Ems x

There are some schemes for handwriting for Foundation that are actually quite good as they are based on the principles about gross and fine motor skill - but they may keep your co-ordinator happy?

Write dance - this is a whole school approach but includes a section specifically for Nursery and reception. It involves gross motor movements to music - some find it a bit stranf=ge but the theories and the reviews from those who have used it are good. i know that schools in Solihull in the West Midlands use it - there may be someone near you?

here

and penpals for writing - they do F1 and F2 materials and involve lots of practical activities and also CD rom activities and things for use on the IWB

here

Worth having a look at.

There are some schemes for handwriting for Foundation that are actually quite good as they are based on the principles about gross and fine motor skill - but they may keep your co-ordinator happy?

Write dance - this is a whole school approach but includes a section specifically for Nursery and reception. It involves gross motor movements to music - some find it a bit stranf=ge but the theories and the reviews from those who have used it are good. i know that schools in Solihull in the West Midlands use it - there may be someone near you?

here

and penpals for writing - they do F1 and F2 materials and involve lots of practical activities and also CD rom activities and things for use on the IWB

here

Worth having a look at.

Yes i already use penpals and find it brilliant. It focusses on the things that matter when teaching handwriting to children so young - fine and gross motor skills - that's what it's all about.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)