Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role Play For Festivals?

Hi everyone. I have decided to have "festivals" as my topic next half term. The only problem is that I can't think of a role play area. The last two weeks will be Santa's workshop, but I need ideas for the previous five weeks when we will be celebrating Bonfire night, Divali, Eid, Shichi-Go-San and Hannukkah. Any ideas would be really appreciated!!

Kaybee

Hi Kaybee

I live in Lewes which does bonfire night on a huge scale. Have put a link to a website that might give you more info. In particular look at each society in the section relating to the different societies in the town as they all dress in different costumes. Maybe your role play could be to do with processions rather than Guy Fawkes.

Here's the link I hope Lewes Bonfire Council

Sue

That's really interesting Sue! Wish we did something like that, I love those whole community things! Agree with your points re considering the cultures.

We have the house walls up and decorate appropriately for the culture, with items the children have made. The children love to make rangoli patterns and play with the dreidl as appropriate.

Sue :D

Hey if I had the room you could come because Lewes bonfire is the best, just ask Steve. There are 5 different societies in the town and at the end of the processions there are five different firework displays all going off at around the same time. The noise is deafening as it reverbirates around the valley that Lewes lies in. The smell is wonderful and all clothes reek of smoke and gunpowder.

Lewes always holds it's celebration on the 5th, none of this waiting until the weekend nonsense. Families are born into the bonfire tradion and the procession has many babies in costume being pushed in pushchairs. One society dress as Native Americam Indians so there are even a few in papusses (can't spell that but you know what I mean).

Oh you've made me all excited now, roll on Nov 5th, I love it :D

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)