Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Staff Meeting

Calling out to all experienced Reception practitioners.

I am a Reception teacher in a 1 form entry school and have been asked by my head to present a staff meeting to all staff about 'The Foundation Stage'. This to to make all members of staff aware of how the curriculum works, assessment, etc as i'm sure some staff have no idea that we don't follow the National Curriculum!!

I was hoping for some advice and ideas of the kind of things i could include in the meeting. I don't want to make it so that it is 45 minutes of me constantly talking. If anyone has any ideas of practical ways i could introduce things, or if anyone has done a meeting like this before i would be really grateful if you share your ideas.

Thanks everyone

Tiny

When I have held these sort of staff meetings I always insist that they are carried out in one of the foundation stae classrooms. Set up the nursery / reception room up as you would do on a normal day (include the outside area). Encourage stakk to participate in activities (if you put cornflour out and gloop atc. they will be exploring for ages). Get them to count how many activities are available. Show them round all the areas of learning and explain each curriculum area as you go and how it relates to the NC (KUW science/ his /Geo etc). Show them planning proformas / assessment folders (could have them on display on a table). Gather group together for questions. This is far more interactive. Have an agenda ready to remind you of key points and copies of curriculum plans etc. Good luck

Hi!

I was going to say have you asked your LEA if they have a training pack as ours produced one which had a video and overheads which had info on the F/S Curriculum.

However, I think nicnic's idea is even better-let them see how its done! I'd try that myself if I was asked to do something similar. The thing to remember is that many of the staff will never have worked in the early years let alone worked with the new foundation stage curriculum so it will all be new to them. I know after a full day of teaching that i'd rather play in the gloop for a bit and have a chat than have to listen to a load of overheads being read out!!

Good luck with it, let us know how it goes :o

Hi Tiny -

Someone a while back was asking for tips on doing a presentation to parents on the Foundation Stage - we had a donated talk with lots of high level information. You might find it helpful for structure - you can find the topic and link to the presentation here.

Hope it helps - good luck with it! :)

Guest Sycamore

We just had a similar meeting for our reception parents, to get them to know what the FS is all about.

The FS consultant came from the LEA and she did a bit of talking through the FSP but then got everyone to build a model following instruction cards with the Knex, Lasy, Lego etc. She then showed how just from this activity which looks like 'play' all the areas of the FS were covered.

Quite good.

Good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)