Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Working In A Special School?

Guest Carlan

Hi, I am a teacher of a class of Reception, Y1, 2, 3 and 4!!!! in a Special school for physically disabled children but who mostly have developmental delay too. I also plan for the medium term for the nursery class .Just wondered if there is anyone else out there in similar position. I am finding Child iniitated very tricky due to the communication needs of the children and their physical needs also. A lot of activites are teacher or adult led. Do some child iniitated by giving the ch a choice of three activities but they need complete adult support to engage in these. Also makes observation very difficult.

Thankyou :o

Hi, I am a teacher of a class of Reception, Y1, 2, 3 and 4!!!! in a Special school for physically disabled children but who mostly have developmental delay too. I also plan for the medium term for the nursery class .Just wondered if there is anyone else out there in similar position. I am finding Child iniitated very tricky due to the communication needs of the children and their physical needs also. A lot of activites are teacher or adult led. Do some child iniitated by giving the ch a choice of three activities but they need complete adult support to engage in these. Also makes observation very difficult.

Hi, I can't help...just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

:o

Welcome to the Forum, Carlan!

You need to talk to Nichola: I'm sure she'll be along with some words of wisdom and support before long!

In the meantime, make yourself at home and have a good rummage about... :o

Maz

Hi Carlan, A warm welcome from me too. :o

My Foster son will be going to a special school in September, We've just got his Stat assessment and he will get a place in yr 7. So I look forward to reading the responses to your question too.

My Foster son has global development delay and is on the P scales ( or to me he is at EYFS level).

Co-incidently I attended his PEP today and one of the issues we discussed was how I feel the need for him to 'go back, to re-visit' child initiated, experiencial play as in EYFS. He is currently in mainstream, out of year class (although yr 6 is in a yr 2 class)

He missed 'foundations' of learning due to lots of non attendence of Nursery and school in his younger years and also because of his needs he has mainly experienced adult led, all be it small steps 'instruction' rather than having opportunities to self initiate play since being in mainstream schools.

I can understand the problem of enabling self initiated play/learning, when making choices is a difficult 'concept/thought process' that he has not been used to before.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)