Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Unit

hello what a great site! i have just been made foundation manager at my school and told that i can do as i wish not as nice as it sounds. I have 16 reception children and 12 nursery age chidren with another 16 nursery children to start in January. i also have to manage 4 staff as well.How cam i emsure all parties get what they are entitled to?

Welcome Snowwhite,

You sound like you're going to have your work cut out in the coming months. I'm afraid I can't help you but good luck with your new job. :D The only thing I would say is to get to know the staff well and try to listen and take on board everyones views before making drastic changes. :)

Guest alisonjayne

Hi snowhite

Welcome to the forum, what an exciting challenge you have ahead. Sorry I can't help, but must agree that listening to the staff you are working with is a really good start.

Good luck

Hi Snowhite and welcome,

We started our Unit in September, currently we have 50 Rec + 19 Nur a.m and 19 p.m. !!We have 6 staff working in 3 rooms.

So far this term I have changed the timetable 7 times! and Staff rotas 3 times and I'm sure we still haven't got it right!

Make the most of this term with good ratios!

I have found it difficult with so many staff, you always forget to tell somebody - a whiteboard in a prominent place has helped. We have level 4 and level 3 LSAs so its quite difficult getting the roles right, but nobody is complaining - yet!

As for the children, I do find that the Nur. chn. can sometimes get a little left out during adult focus activities, so we have made sure that there is appropriate differentiation. We also make sure there are times when F1 and F2 work separately.

I hope that this is of some use to you, there is also a section devoted to FS Units in the forum.

Please ask if there is anything else you want to know, let us know a little more about your situation.

I am the Foundation stage teacher in a foundation stage unit. Currently we have 6 reception and 8 nursery in the am and 8 in the pm, but our numbers change at Christmas and Easter. We have 3 members of staff a teacher, nursery nurse and TA. As said before in the early days it was difficult to timetable staff and plan activities so everybody's needs were met. I would be interested to know as well how people plan so that the more able and less ables needs are met and how they mange access to outside play. Thanks

i have a nursery that takes in chidlren form 3 to 4+ ready for reception. WE have 19 chidlren and 3 members of staff. 1 teacehr (me) and 2 unqulifiied members of staff. It is so difficult to set tasks and focus activities to find that they have not been done as i would have done it. I write down everything in sheet but have to plan for all eventualty as my staff are often unable to work or think independetnly.

Hi Snowwhite.

We are setting up a unit at the moment with about 21 reception and 31 nursery children am and pm from January. There are 2 teachers, 1 Nursery nurse, 1 TA and one part time TA (3 days a week).

We've had a 'good' ofsted but are still working out teething problems. The main thing I find problematic is the sheer amount of children in one space and trying to make sure that the teachers work equally. We are finding that the other teacher doesn't really see us a unit despite saying this and treats it as 2 classes in one space - I don't i want it to be a unit! Assessment is the main area to develop now and would be grateful to know what others do. We have a very disjointed outdoor area that always requires 2 staff members outside which can become difficult later in the week when the part time TA isn't in! If anyone can suggest ways to job share without upsetting other people please let me know. Also another member of staff isn't pulling their weight how do you tactfully tell them?

Anyway would be interested to know what you decide to do! Good luck!

problems! problems! :o

i feel that people seem to be meandering throguh the school yeaar trying out different things. and somtimes nothing seems to work. Why don't they leave us alone to get on with the jb we know that we can do- care and teach chidlren to care.

Must be the 3 glasses of vino talking xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)