Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Ideas

Guest julie

Guest julie

HI,

I am currently a teacher of Year 3, but will be moving into Reception in September. We recently had an Ofsted, who felt that teaching and learning in Reception was Unsatisfactory. I have been set the challenge of turning the Foundation Stage around (we have 1 reception class in our school). I would be really grateful for any ideas in any way, shape or form, that you have found useful, and that I can try to incorporate into my 'blank canvas', of the Foundation Stage!

Thanks

Julie.

make as much as you can practical with lots of choice and different learning outcomes (to use an outdated term). Indoors and out.

Hi Julie -

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post! :D

It sounds like you've been sent in as one of those CEO's of a troubled organisation. Hope you're not feeling the responsibility too heavily!

First of all, how much have you read of the posts in the community here? There is a lot of really valuable discussion on Foundation Stage techniques and ideas, particularly in Practice and Provision, where I think the 'Reception - the Best Way Forward' discussion is hosted. Many reception teachers have contributed to some really first class debate in this area.

Second, if you let us know what some of your weak and strong areas are, maybe we can concentrate on them? I'm sure you'll get some really good ideas and help if you let us know where you'd really like to develop and strengthen your foundation stage provision.

Welcome again -

Steve.

Hi Julie, and welcome to the site :D

A great book to start with is "A Guide to Early Years Practice" by Sandra Smidt. It was the first book I read when I went from year 2 to nursery. You might be able to persuade your school to subscribe to the early years magazines, such as Early Years Educator (EYE), and Practical pre-school (very relevant for Reception too); they give you a feel for the early years ethos, and also a clear understanding of how young children learn best. You may decide to subscribe to them yourself.

Our LEA have put on some courses entitled "New to reception"; it would be a good idea to get in touch with your LEA to see if they plan similar ones for the autumn term.

Are you being given any time this term to get your head round this? Are you planning home visits for the new intake? If you are, perhaps the first thing you need to decide is how to record information about your new children in order to start off your child profiles.

Hope this helps. Get back to us with specifics and we'll do more. :)

Guest julie

:D Hi,

Thanks for your responses - I have some useful things to be reading/working on. I'll be meeting the children next Tuesday and Thursday for thei induction afternoons, so I should be able to develop more ideas to suit these children. I agree that practical, hands on activities are the way forward in my school!

Thanks again,

Julie.

• 1 month later...

A good website that has some excellent planning documents for practical activities in thr foundation stage is

http://www.education.herefordshire.gov.uk/ey.asp

From link above go to

Documents from the Early Years team

It sets out the stepping stones and early lerning goals with activies and lists resources and assessment opportunities for role play, sand, water etc... it is a huge document 100+ pages and does need tweaking before printing out but is very useful.

There are also some planning templates and printable grids os the FSP

Hope this is of some use.

Lorna :)

Hi Lorna -

I've been to have a quick peep at the site, and it looks excellent. I'll stick it into the resources page.

Many thanks for that, and welcome to the forum! :D Hope you find it useful.

Regards, Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

What a brill site. xD As I am starting my planning practically from scratch there are some great ideas. I have saved the docs onto my hard drive to browse at leisure!! :o

Thanks again!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)