Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas?

narnia

ok, here's the secenario:

other setting in the village and our group don't really get on (long story, too boring, but problems NOT of our making!). We have tried, without success, to build bridges and have offered all kinds of things to try to work togther, and allways been met with a brick wall. Now, at the end of the summer term, i wrote to the committee chair of the other group, saying how good it would be if we could work together, in fact, it is now a requirement of the EYFS that we should, where we share children etc, and i offered to get togehter with their staff and ours, at a mutually convenient time and place, to discuss, in particular, Learning Journeys, so we both knew what the other was doing. NO REPLY.and i know they received it, because i hand deliverd it to the chairs house. I then sent a copy of a lovely book tothe group, as a gift from our group to theirs,s aying it is one our children love and hope theirs would too (again, hand delivered, tot he setting, so we know they have it etc.........no thanks etc).

Last week, the reception teacher stopped my deputy and told her ' I KNOW you don't like it when i get together witht he other group, so i am telling you personally that X (the supervisor) has phoned me to say she doesn't understand Learning journeys, so she and i are getting together before christmas to talk her through them, but I don't use them myself, and won't be until next year, so i'll arrange a meeting with your group next year and i'll tell you how i expect you to do them'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, my deputy is a wise young lady and simply said 'ok, but we've been doing them for over a year now,and they have been ok'd by our lead teachers, as being very good, but wouldn't it be more productive to have a get together with both settings at the same time, so we all know where we are?' This was met with a firm 'no, i'm meeting X as arranged and we'll talk to you in the summer'

what would you do?? My instinct is to call the supervisor to say we are making sure our LJ's are up together, and as we're now at the end of term, we'd like to talk about the children we share, so that any pertinent entries can be made in their books, so how about a short meeting to get this done?? what do you think?? I don't want Ofsted asking why we aren't working together, when we try so hard to do exactly that!

hats off to your deputy.. I really dont know if I would have been so cool when being excluded in such a way, or then to be told that they will tell you how to do the Learning Journeys... being no one correct way, but one which is a working document for your setting. ( I would probably dig my heals in at this point and no matter what they say they want continue in my own way!)

I would probably write or contact the other setting stating as you have said that you are consolidating and evaluating this last term and would like to have any relevant information from them to include in this, and that you are willing to share information they may require at the same time.

Ensure you have parental permission to contact the setting and share information, I would have this in writing. Providing you document all attempts at contacting and sharing information you should be Ok, you cannot after all force another setting to share with you, but you can prove and show you have made a real effort in getting their cooperation.

we had a problem in the past and always quoted data protection and not able to share even when the parents have been the ones asking for the information for us.

If you get no joy, we had a limited reponse from a letter asking questions about the child. Parents were the go between and some became very good at chasing things up for us at another setting.

all I can say is best of luck

and just keep plodding on, at least you are trying if they are not

Inge

What an awful situation!! How rude of the teacher to exclude you and of the other setting not to reply to you generous letter and gift of the book!!!

You have tried letters and have got no response, how about a direct conversation? Or perhaps your advisory teacher or PLA could step in and help?

I am sure you have kept copies of the letters you have sent to the other setting so that if Ofsted did ask about the information sharing, you have evidence to show that you have tried (very hard)!!

You are doing all the right things and the other setting is blocking any attempts to work together!!!

Good luck

We have one setting near us who sound just like the one you talk about Narnia, it's the only one who hasn't acknowledged that it would it would be useful to talk about shared children. I'm concerned that the teacher intends to leave you hanging until the summer term to meet with you about learning journeys. Supposing you were also struggling with them? Why the preferential treatment? I was also under the impression that while they can make suggestions they can't insist you comply with them.

A small consolation with setting we have trouble with (in more ways than information sharing), is that we tend to get the siblings of children who attended it, to us that speaks volumes.

Karrie

I think the reception teacher has breached confidentiality by informing your deputy that the other group 'doesn't understand' L J's, and has been quite unprofessional in discussing the other settings communications with her, well handled by your deputy.

I'd personally suggest that you pass on the information you have on the children in your setting who also attend the other setting, you have then done your part in meeting the EYFS but more importantly giving the other setting information that could improve the CHILDRENS experiences in the other setting, as hoprfully their interests, development levels that you inform them of will be considered there. Does 'sharing' have to be recipricol (spl), ideally yes, but as this is not the case yet then with parent permission, I'd suggest sharing the info you have and hope that it is reciprocated back to you.

Rise above the other settings obvious anxieties / mistrust, and build bridges by actions, maybe when they see your mini reports and appreciatte the benefit of them in increasing their understanding and knowledge of the children, they will be inspired to share with you too.

Yes I know I'm wearing my rose tinted glasses, ideal world scenario, but maybe worth a try. :o

Peggy

I think it's amazing your deputy kept her cool - very professional!! I had a similar situation with another setting - didn't respond to letters, phone messages etc. It was only when I asked to speak to the manager and explained that I wanted to make links with the setting and despite all my best efforts nothing was forthcoming. I asked if I could visit the setting and meeting with the staff face to face seemed to make a big difference. I explained that I wanted to make photo books for the children of their homes and the different settings they attend to help the chidren make links between their experiences. Maybe if you visited this setting in person, praised some of the things they were doing there they would see you as less of a threat (i think that is possiby the problem) and see the process of making links between settings as a mutually beneficial thing.

I too have had a similar experience and it is soooo infuriating. The other setting actually shouted at me on the phone when I tried to broach the subject. Two strategies that have worked well for us: 1) we involved our LA SENCO/early years team who campaigned on our behalf at the other setting. She also said keep copies of all letters inviting them to share, their responses and keep being very accommodating as you have been doing. Having her in the loop with what we have been doing made me feel better about Ofsted criticism as I intended to ask her to come into speak to the inspector if they started to tear us apart about this issue. 2) We got our parents who had children at both settings to campaign for us. We got them clued up as to why we ought to be sharing information, emphasising the importance for their child and then sent them off to "encourage" the other setting to do just that.

In the end the change of leadership there might have been what swung it for us but in the meantime I felt we were doing all we could.

I like Holly's suggestion of getting the 'shared' parents to lobby on your behalf: there's nothing quite so persuasive as when a parent says "at my child's other nursery..." :o

Other than that narnia: I'd say keep plugging along and do what almost everyone has said: keep copies of letters, emails etc to show Mrs Ofsted that you are willing to work in partnership with other settings, even if your 'partners' aren't!

Maz