Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inspiration Needed!

Hi Everyone, im hoping that anyone can offer any ideas for p.e activities, game in reception. i find myself getting in a rut with the usual 'traffic lights' and sleeping loins ideas. Does anyone have any other warm-up,cool down games ideas. :o

Talking about P.E. do you use a published scheme in Reception? The one they are using in our school at the moment is so boring!! But P.E. is my weakest area so do need plenty of direction! I've just bought 'Zuidie O' for dance but any other ideas would be gratefully recieved!

Guest Sycamore

i use Val Sabin...quite good. I went on her course last year and she suggested things like musical bumps and statues as a warm up

We use Sticky Kids a lot and the children love them. We also have the Val Sabin book and Cd. Very good with lots of activities which start with a warm up, main activity and then a cool down. I also invested this year in the Kidsmusic CDs and books. These are really great fun. I don't know who enjoyed them more last term the staff or the children. Some of them are very energetic and we all felt we had a good work out by the end!! :o

Linda

I've just bought zudee-o as well, going to try it out tomorrow...

I use the top start cards for PE at this time of year, then as warm ups and cool downs throughout the rest of the year, they have lots of simple activities divided into four sections: 'basic motor skills,' 'spatial awareness,' 'coordination and control' and 'aiming.'

Hope this helps, if you would like I could email the activities to you?

Sorry! should have put the link in. The website can be found here.

We have 4 of the cd's and books. I bought Feeling the Beat and Swing Thing at an exhibition in May. We have used them a lot and even did some of them as part of our concert at the end of last term. I wanted parents to see what we did with the children on a day to day basis as well as singing the songs we had learnt for the concert.

I have recently bought Echo Fred and You've got to Clap. I haven't used them yet but have listened to them myself-they are really good.

Linda

Sticky kids is great, certainly warms me up :o

'Jumping Beans' is an easy game and I'm sure you'll come up with some of your own ideas.

To play, when you say jumping beans, the children jump. Chilli beans - shiver. Runner beans - run around. French beans - all say 'bonjour'. Broad beans - make themselves as wide as possible. Jelly beans - wobble.

Hope this gives you the idea :D

Sue

More beans !!!! string beans either lie down in a stretched shape or stand up as stretched as you can: baked beans all huddle together (like in a tin).

My class last year loved to play cat and mouse. Half the class were mice and had the bands (the sort the netball teams wear) tucked into their shorts dangling down like tails, the other half were cats and had to grab the mice's tails. We had strict rules about only being allowed to grab the tail, not the mouse. Some of them got quite good at swerving. This isn't something I'm anticipating being able to do with this years group for a while :o

Harricroft

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)