Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Using The Computer With 3-4 Year Olds

We have a laptop computer with lots of different educational games that the children can play as part of CP. I just wondered if anyone has any experience of using the computer (with no internet access) in different ways with children? In particular whether it is worth purchasing a separate lower case chunky keyboard for them to to use to write with - or getting a microphone for them to record on or any other ideas?

Either of those ideas sound good to me Starburst! :o

I've often wondered about buying a lower case keyboard to make it easier for children to write but somehow have never got round to it. With the last laptop I had a very ancient tablet and pen which was great because children could 'draw' on to the tablet but see the picture appear on the screen: a great way of encouraging boys to pick up a pen!

Our children particularly like photocopying their work on our printer, and using our photo printer to print photos that they have taken during the session, too.

Maz

I prefer to use IT as is.Why adapt it when its not in the 'real world'. If children are using PC's in the home they will not have lowercase keyboards.Many moons ago we used stickers for lowercase to convert the keyboard-it didn't work.It's the same as why have a bright plastic telephone when you can have a 'real' non working telephone? I think we should be using extentions like webcam's, animation, using cameras for digital stories. Things that the normal home PC user may not access with their child.

Had a brilliant powerpoint lesson from my 11 year old and we created a powerpoint for reception on Robins.She was much more technical than me so had to dumb it down for mum :o What I mean is don't dumb it down for the younger children they will amaze and out pass you

Edited by Guest

I think mouse control is more important at this age rather than keyboards. I certainly wouldn't waste money on special keyboards. Programs where they have to paint using the mouse are great, Dazzle is good and even the good old 'paint' program. They can learn about colours, and the fine motor control needed to draw something using a mouse.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)