Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted! Help With Planning Senses - Hearing And Polar Bears!

Hi, we've had the dreaded ofsted call!!!

We have been learning about senses and so far have looked at sight. This week the children have been inspired by the cold weather, noticed snowflakes on the window and ice in the musical pans outdoors. Today we noticed that the soil in the digging area was frozen. Therefore I have decided to link this with Polar Polar bear what do you hear? Does anybody have any great ideas for linking these two things?

Thanks in a anticipation!

A very nervous Reception teacher!x

cold, polar bears and senses has to be ice in some form.. we did a giant ice cube instead of water.. but you could put the polar bears into it and then find out best way for rescuing.. lots of touch and tactile language as well as looking for the bears in the ice .. we had some artificial snow stuff which was sprinkled on the top for another texture.. (but unsure of where to get it.. ours came from computers for schools)

Dont know if frozen teddy would work.. (there are lots of references to this in several posts that is just one of them)

Inge

cold, polar bears and senses has to be ice in some form.. we did a giant ice cube instead of water.. but you could put the polar bears into it and then find out best way for rescuing.. lots of touch and tactile language as well as looking for the bears in the ice .. we had some artificial snow stuff which was sprinkled on the top for another texture.. (but unsure of where to get it.. ours came from computers for schools)

Dont know if frozen teddy would work.. (there are lots of references to this in several posts that is just one of them)

Inge

Off the track a little, if you have access to esspresso resources then they show sign language for each letter of the alphabet. I do this during letters and sounds as there is a deaf boy in the unit! :o

Thank you!! My parents are actually deaf so dont know why I didnt think of that!!! I have done this before where I showed a photograph of my parents and asked the children to describe them. How are they the same/different to us? What did they think was wrong with them and then I told them that one of their senses did not work and could they guess what it was? This led to great discussion! I cant believe I forgot this! My brain has gone into panic mode! Our cleaner is deaf so will also organise for her to come in a bit earlier so we can show her the sign language we have been learning!!! You've just inspired us again here! Thank you so much!x

We had Ofsted in two weeks ago. Having worked around the clock from receiving the call the whole procress was far less daunting that anticipated. I actually found some of the time spent with the Inspector enjoyable as she was relaxed and appeared to have fun observing my class. Hope you are as lucky as me.

Don't exhaust yourself. I'm now off with the flu and I'm sure the hours we did before our inspection left a lot of our staff low.

By the way if you decide on continuing the snow theme Sparklebox has lots of resources on snowflakes.

Hope it goes well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)