Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toys

Our new topic for after Christmas is toys. Just hoping for some inspiration, especially for role play (can only think of a toy shop or toy factory up to now) and outdoors.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :oxD:(

Could do a toy museum? Outdoors - old toys, skipping ropes, hoopla, skittles, marbles, hobby horse. Draw hopscoth on playground. Learn some old playground games - circle games. Blow bubbles - using different shaped blowers.

We focussed on Toy Story, the children brought in their own toys and made a vehicle to rescue Woody. Then we recreated the set and the children used their toys and their vehicle to create their own 'Rescue Woody' scene shich we recorded. We then turned the classroom into a premiere night by rigging the large parachute to make it look like a big top and we screened our films. The children loved this part.

Looked at toys from the past and made puppets and puppet theatre, spinning tops, moved like toys in PE.

We made obstacle courses for our toys. We also moved on to Superheroes in this topic, focussing on The Incredibles. We turned our role play area into a gym for Superheroes, lots of physical activities going on.

We focussed on Toy Story, the children brought in their own toys and made a vehicle to rescue Woody. Then we recreated the set and the children used their toys and their vehicle to create their own 'Rescue Woody' scene shich we recorded. We then turned the classroom into a premiere night by rigging the large parachute to make it look like a big top and we screened our films. The children loved this part.

Looked at toys from the past and made puppets and puppet theatre, spinning tops, moved like toys in PE.

We made obstacle courses for our toys. We also moved on to Superheroes in this topic, focussing on The Incredibles. We turned our role play area into a gym for Superheroes, lots of physical activities going on.

Wow, that sounds like fun. Bet the children really enjoyed this Rufus.

These ideas are amazing!!!!!! I have an S.E.N. class and we have taken a foundation stage approach to teaching and learning since September which is working fantastically well!My topic for after Christmas is toys so these ideas have proved to be incredibly helpful! Thank you so much for posting them!!!!! :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to think around Toys topic too. I'm going to spend first two days back finding out what the children's favourite toys were that they got for Christmas and find out what they're interested in...

- my own ideas were along the lines of the story book-'Harry and the robots' - where does the robot go to get fixed? - make box model robots / make large robots outside with boxes and any other junk to stand up and balance / a workshop-repair centre where they can handle nuts & bolts and simple tools maybe...

Story book - 'Kipper's toybox' and some counting out sets of toys, make 'Sock Thing' sock puppets to use in puppet theatre and retell story with storybag props.

I thought a bear might just arrive in our classroom and we explore where it's come from and he could go home with each child (longterm feature) for further trips out which the children could show and tell us about??

Maybe a teddy bears picnic and children/teacher scribe an invite for a favourite teddy from home to come along - maybe Reception class and parents to join in and bring their teddies. Bear hunt - open clues to find were teddy is (under/next to etc) Build a bear cave outside (den) or maybe a teddy picnic roleplay area with cloth and teaset???

In the past I've had a woodwork bench in class using hammers and nails to go along with the story of Pinochio Gepetto's workshop - children loved it. (we had boxes of 'stuff' for children to investigate e.g. broken clocks, batteries, string puppets - anything went in pretty much if it could be taken apart/moved to be examined.) We also made split pin cardboard moving puppets. We made up puppet dances too...

We are going to make and test our own roly poly toys with outside races with them.

Hope this helps

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)