Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Where Do I Start?

The YR class in my school has been like a Y1 class really. Not much play, all children sat at tables doing differentiated work or all taking turns to make x or paint Y. When the YR teacher left I willingly moved into teaching the foundation class this Sept. I taught YR 5 years ago so lots has changed since then. I've got to grips with the paperwork, assessment expectations and adult led activities and have lots of resources for this. However I am struggling to create the child initiated classroom with lots of engaging independent activities that I know the children should have. I just don't know where to start and at the moment I feel overwhelmed. For the first time the class has a fenced outdoor area with a play house in, that I am trying to turn into the outdoor classroom! Does anyone have any pointers on where to start, couldn't manage without resources, good topic planning books, child initiated activity ideas. I'd be very grateful for any help.

Why don't you use this as an opportunity to get the children involved, what are they interested in, how would they like their classroom to look like, what would they like to choose to get out to play with. Role play areas were the first thing I got ready in my classroom but making it easy enough to change them regularly. If the children aren't used of child initiated time then maybe you should forget the adult focus for a week and help them explore the classroom, model ways of playing with things, model role play then observe them and see if that helps. I had to develop our outside area last year and I found this large box that has had so much use, it has been a castle, a hotel, a police station, etc. What mini themes are you doing? Look at some of the continuous provision plans that have been on here to give you some ideas. Good luck

Didn't know what that was tattybogle so i've found a link to the Mantle of the expert website.

MoE

Have you worked to this ethos, if yes, in what ways did you simplify it to fit with EYFS?

Peggy

Didn't know what that was tattybogle so i've found a link to the Mantle of the expert website.

MoE

Have you worked to this ethos, if yes, in what ways did you simplify it to fit with EYFS?

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

I have tried a couple of very simple ideas based around MoE philosophy, but not taken it as far as it could be as I am still slightly restricted by the team!! I'm in.

As a very simple intro to my reception class though I extended our gingerbread man planning. When the last batch were cooked, one was missing. Thhe children and I brainstormed, decided what might have happened and what should be done. (The client as such was the group of children with the missing gingerbread man). They decided to put up notices around the school. Had to visit headteacher first for permission. Next we followed a trail, made a map etc. Hes left us now but will be sending postcards. Very very basic intro I know but you get the idea?

Im hoping to introduce a letter from Santa next week explaining to the children that he is really busy this year. He has so many toys to make. Can they help? What can they do?

As a class we should come up with the idea of setting up a workshop. (good example of this in one of the scholastic mags).

Like I say Im a bit limited by how much I can do as have to stay within team planning but its really exciting and motivating stuff. New school and more carefully chosen foundation leader next year and I'll be flying!!

There is so much dialogue, discussion and problem solving involved. Not to mention the clamber for writing implements when notices etc need to be made. :o

Im hoping to introduce a letter from Santa next week explaining to the children that he is really busy this year. He has so many toys to make. Can they help? What can they do?

This sounds really interesting - might try something similar next week myself. Just need to give it some serious thought... :o

Thank you for your ideas.

I asked the children what they would like and a role play area was one of the suggestions. As we don't have lots of space we sorted out the dressing up costumes today. We are going to create role play boxes and the children had me writing lots of lists of props to find to put in with the clothes. I'm off to an infant school cluster meeting soon so hope to beg a few foundation teachers to let me come a view their settings during my ppa time.

Has anyone found any good books that have ideas for self initiated learning activities?

Thank you for your ideas.

I asked the children what they would like and a role play area was one of the suggestions. As we don't have lots of space we sorted out the dressing up costumes today. We are going to create role play boxes and the children had me writing lots of lists of props to find to put in with the clothes. I'm off to an infant school cluster meeting soon so hope to beg a few foundation teachers to let me come a view their settings during my ppa time.

Has anyone found any good books that have ideas for self initiated learning activities?

Featherstones do a series called The little book of......, various aspects of 'play'. Maybe others can give a list of the titles, they've been mentioned before and seem very popular.

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

I have tried a couple of very simple ideas based around MoE philosophy, but not taken it as far as it could be as I am still slightly restricted by the team!! I'm in.

As a very simple intro to my reception class though I extended our gingerbread man planning. When the last batch were cooked, one was missing. Thhe children and I brainstormed, decided what might have happened and what should be done. (The client as such was the group of children with the missing gingerbread man). They decided to put up notices around the school. Had to visit headteacher first for permission. Next we followed a trail, made a map etc. Hes left us now but will be sending postcards. Very very basic intro I know but you get the idea?

As a class we should come up with the idea of setting up a workshop. (good example of this in one of the scholastic mags).

Like I say Im a bit limited by how much I can do as have to stay within team planning but its really exciting and motivating stuff. New school and more carefully chosen foundation leader next year and I'll be flying!!

There is so much dialogue, discussion and problem solving involved. Not to mention the clamber for writing implements when notices etc need to be made. :o

Not wanting to ighjack the original post query, did want to respond though that I'm sure JacquiL has some great resources on Santa Drama in the resource library, goes very much in line with your Santa idea. Look in the resource library under christmas.

Peggy

Not wanting to ighjack the original post query, did want to respond though that I'm sure JacquiL has some great resources on Santa Drama in the resource library, goes very much in line with your Santa idea. Look in the resource library under christmas.

Peggy

Just noticed someone else posted about the Santa drama, it's in the members articles section written by JackieL.

Peggy

Hi all,

Thanks for the ideas, I've ordered some of the 'little books of' and wow, found sparklebox! If anyone else is starting out and looking for handy ideas I've stumbled upon a series of books that cover lots of topics. They are practical preschool, I ordered the play for learning through 12 days of christmas and colours topics. They have week by week activities, all linked to elgs, list all the resources you will need to gather etc. This has given me a better starting point and I feel more confident about next term now. If anyone else is looking to buy these books I found that Amazon was cheaper than ebay once you took postage into consideration.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)