Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ppa Query

Hello all....

Have just been told that I am now in charge of our SSC as from JAn for how long, who knows.....??!!!!!I am also the INCO and at the moment as I teach 5 days I get 1 day every 2 weeks for PPA time.

From Jan I will be teaching 4 days with 1 day for INCO work. Therefore I have been told that I am entitled to PPA based upon 4 days teaching, half a day every 2 weeks. If this is what it is so be it. BUT our Senior Teavher has 1 day leadership a week AND 1 whole day PPA every 2 weeks. Equality? I don't think so. Advice please. I am going to ask my union , but before I stick my foot in it, what do the rest of you think?? :o

Your PPA time is based on the number of hours you are actually teaching so will be based on those 4 days, it is 10% of that time. So if you teach 5 hours per day then it is 2 hours per week or 4 per fortnight. If you are getting less than 10% then you need to flag that up, as this time is part of your pay and conditions. You cannot be given this time other than when you would normally be teaching. I think this is more about what you are entitled to on your own workload rather than someone else's. First work that out and then talk to your HT. I would try to sort this out internally before involving your union but you can always ask them for confidential advice. Obviously I don't know your circumstances or what your Senior Teacher is responsible for, so can't really comment on her PPA and Leadership time.

At least 10% in blocks of no less than 30mins too.

Good luck Kate. I think this is worth fighting for but be warned it can change the dynamics of your relationship with your head if you get the union to intervene on your behalf. You can of course ask for advice without the direct involvement of the union and then approach your head.

Thank you for your responses. I was going to the union for advice only and I think that they are much better at maths than me!

Somehow I feel that I'm being short changed from a whole to a half day every other week.

Hmmmmm me thinks some investigating is called for here.

Good luck with that one Kate. I had this problem for a long time in my last school, because I argued that I still had to plan for the day I wasn't in class, even though I didn't actually teach it. I never won!

But if you teach 80% of the week you are entitled to 80% of what others get, which Id hazard a guess would be about 4 hours a fortnight (assuming a full day to be about 5?)