Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Should Children Be Made To Wear Coats?

In our setting we are a bit mean and insist the children weat coats when going outside. We also have 'spares' just in cases parents send children in without their coats. We have spare hats too, which are then assigned to a child or washed on a regular basis. When I say assigned, it is unfortunate that some parents don't seem to send coats any day. :o

I found this discussion very interesting as recently we have had this problem particularly with children who have colds or runny noses, my colleagues think I am harsh but I tell parents I will ask them to put on their coats but if their cold is that bad should they really be a school!

We to make it clear we are outside in all weathers, I always say layers are good, and children do become used to getting ready to go out independently , they can all zip coats or ask a friend to help.

But in general in our setting Reception, I do say if it is cold outside that the children have their school sweatshirt on. If its really bitter I say put on a coat but invariably I look around and its hanging on our fence. I feel that at this age children can gauge if they feel hot or cold and usually go and get their coat or opt to stay in to warm up (even though the door is open). Not to say we don't keep an eye out for a shivering child but the same goes for the child wanting the toilet, fell over etc. Myself and my colleagues all wrap up well and we move alot and I feel I can't insist that they wear a coat if I am out in a cardigan bad role model I know. I do tell them I wear a hat and gloves to stop the heat escaping etc and that seems to work.but their again I also run about wear wellies and splash in puddles!!!!!

Mrs B

Slightly off topic but thinking about this thread reminded me about the open air schools which were up and down the country, the last remnants remaining when I began teaching in Liverpool a long time ago . These schools were to support children who had had TB or other serious illnesses, and would benefit from being outside breathing fresh air, running around and getting exercise. I did a bit of searching and found one where I taught for a short time, Florence Melly, who was incidently, George Melly's Aunt. One of the children mentioned in the article is a friend of my husband :o

http://liverpool-schools.co.uk/html/florence_melly.html

It seems the movement started in Columbia in the late 19thC, and the woman who began them started them on her farm:

"Many of Annie Bonham’s ideas and practices were carried out by others who either heard of or observed the methods of the Bon Air school. Mrs. Hetty Browne taught farm children on the Rock Hill campus of Winthrop with many classes taught out-of-doors or on the spacious porch of the farm house that served as her school. The garden was the center of learning for future farmers and farm wives and the program was endorsed by the U. S. Department of Agriculture.

On cold days the children slipped into roomy bags with drawstrings and donned woolen gloves and caps. Weather permitting, every twenty minutes the younger children had a brief romp on the playground. Visitors noted that the bright-eyed, rosy-cheeked students displayed mental alertness and great enthusiasm for their tasks."

So roomy bags and drawstrings seems to be the solution xD

I was talking more generally Mrs Weasley. Of course some children do know when they feel cold but some children don't. Also some children are so involved in their play that even if they do feel cold they don't want to interupt their play by asking for their coat on.

I'm not sure about anyone else but when I think about the children in our setting, the ones who take their coat off are the ones who can tell when they're too hot/cold. These also tend to be the ones who are doing all the running around, swapping from game to game not appearing to be totally involved with their games.

I feel I can't insist that they wear a coat if I am out in a cardigan

I'm often out in my cardigan/jumper and when I ask a child to put their coat on, they do ask me why I haven't got mine on! What would you say to a child who says this to you?

Mrs Weasley

roomy bags??? oh the images that conjures up

I think theres is a clear coat/ no coat divide here

the question of coats outside needs to be taken in context, are we discussing a cold autumn day or a freezing winter day, wet dry? and when we say letting children go outside without coats how long are we talking 10 minutes run around to get some fresh air or all session? the reason I ask is I feel its harsh to say that letting a child outside in the cold without a coat is neglect, even on the coldest of english days hyperthermia is not caught the minute a child walks out the door even without a coat (looking back on my own school days I can remember doing PE outside in all weathers including the snow, that was wearing just PE kit, no coats,)

I wouldnt let the children in my care be outside for long periods in the cold without a coat, but if they have an adequate layers/jumper then I see no harm in letting them spend some time outside for some fresh air, and if they still insist on not wearing a coat then after a while they would be taken back inside (judging on the activity levels of the child and the outdoor temperature) I cannt say Ive had any problems with this and we havent had a case of hyperthermia

I was talking more generally Mrs Weasley. Of course some children do know when they feel cold but some children don't. Also some children are so involved in their play that even if they do feel cold they don't want to interupt their play by asking for their coat on. I think we have to be sensitive to the needs of all children. Hypothermia is a risk factor in the young and the old. It just may be too late when some children feel cold and start shivering. I am sure the risk is small BUT I for one wouldn't want to take the risk of a child suffering when it was totally preventable. Also I do think if people are considering allowing children the choice and making this decision for themselves they need to make sure parents are totally ok with this. A policy is needed and everyone should be in agreement.

i have been very interested in the replies to this debate greenteaaddict have you have experiences of hypothermia in children?, if so this would be why you refer to it so strongly, i think like the majority of replies have said that all children should be UNIQUE and treated as individuals and this is even down to body temperature. we encourage children to put their coats on but if the child is upset by this or refuses we ask them to carry their coat with them just in case they change their mind when they get outside we all know that this time of year with the sun shining and the central heating on you forget that it is not so warm outside but as already mentioned some children don't seem to need another layer! we have a child that if you put a coat on him he would get too hot and very grumpy he has never seemed to need a coat Mum has given up trying as she was finding he just kept getting hotter and hotter!! it goes against the grain but we are not all built the same! to insist that children put a coat on or are not allowed outside maybe preventing a child having a choice :o

the question of coats outside needs to be taken in context, are we discussing a cold autumn day or a freezing winter day, wet dry? and when we say letting children go outside without coats how long are we talking 10 minutes run around to get some fresh air or all session? the reason I ask is I feel its harsh to say that letting a child outside in the cold without a coat is neglect, even on the coldest of english days hyperthermia is not caught the minute a child walks out the door even without a coat (looking back on my own school days I can remember doing PE outside in all weathers including the snow, that was wearing just PE kit, no coats,)

I wouldnt let the children in my care be outside for long periods in the cold without a coat, but if they have an adequate layers/jumper then I see no harm in letting them spend some time outside for some fresh air, and if they still insist on not wearing a coat then after a while they would be taken back inside (judging on the activity levels of the child and the outdoor temperature) I cannt say Ive had any problems with this and we havent had a case of hyperthermia

I think this is a really valid point hypothermia takes long exposure to very cold temperatures. The definition of hypothermia is when the body's core (internal not skin temperature) temperature drops bellow 35 degrees. The first signs that a child is cold is shivering (a sign of moderate hypothermia is violent shivering) and any alert adult would notice this long before there is any danger to a child.

I have just attended a paediatric first aid 2 day course and asked the trainer about this issue. He felt very strongly that children should not be allowed to play outside with no coat in temperatures like today.

• 1 month later...

Just found this quote on this web site.

"Infants are totally dependent on adults for proper care in cold temperatures. Children may not be able to make judgments that are best for their safety. With proper precautions, cold temperatures do not have to threaten our safety. When faced with the prevention or treatment of cold injuries, prevention is the best choice."

Our children all wear coats outside. We have a couple of children that would not even consider the fact they were cold, shivering and with blue lips. If I allowed one child out without a coat none of them would wear them!! After about 5 minutes it would look like a outdoor area full of Smurfs!! :o

Guest jane707

My son is now 13... at no point since he was a baby has he worn a coat without a fuss.

He has chronic eczema and just gets hotter and hotter.

At high school he has a special card in his pocket and is the only pupil who doesn't have to wear a jumper around school.

I do think you have to consider the individual needs of each child.

Jane

All children put their coats on before they go out to play but if a child got warm and took their coat off I would respect their wishes. Obviously if they then started showing signs of feeling cold I would then give them the choice to put their coat back on or go back inside.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)