Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds Phonics...

I actually find phase 4 to be a bit of a nonsense. I think most children who can read words with vowel digraphs can certainly read adjacent consonants. I would be delighted if children came up to year one and knew all their phase 3 sounds. It rarely happens in our school though.

We split all our reception/year one and year two into 5 groups. Often the teacher who is teaching phase 3 tends to combine it with phase 4.

I personally would teach the alternatives as and when they crop up in writing or reading, not in the phonics teaching. I think we should more or less follow Letters and Sounds order of teaching.

We do have to report them because we are a funded CLLD authority and as such work very closely with the regional advisers to ensure a clear set of expected milestones is shared across the settings that are reported on. As I say it will be the same expectation across all 50 funded LAs.

Cx

ps do we have a new feature on the site - spell checking seems to be going on as I type!!!

We are a CLLD school and have to set targets for the number of children who we think will be secure at phase 3 by end of year (i.e. working within phase 4). I have found Phase 4 can be tricky for some children even when good at phase 3. Putting those two consonants together is hard for some of them, particularly when segmenting.

ps do we have a new feature on the site - spell checking seems to be going on as I type!!!

Lucky you!

I used to have a spell check within firefox but somewhere along the line with its updates I lost it but would welcome its return!

Hi. Can I use this thread to ask a question. When introducing ch sound, have others had children offer words like train and track? What have you done to rectify it? I used Jolly Phonics song "the train goes chugging up the hill" - a feely bag game and then asked for children's suggestions.

I also have two children still mixing up b and d (one of these two, also confusing i and j). Any good ideas to sort this one out?

I think this is a problem with JP some children focus on the stories and pictures rather than on the sounds. I find /r/and /n/ actions-stories often cause confusion.

For b and d we hold our hands out in front and make a fist then pop up the thumbs and say the rhyme to make a bed for baby first we need a b (left hand) e comes in the middle finish with a d (right hand)

i and j are less confusing if shown sitting on and under a line

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)