Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Continuous Provision 0-3 Year Olds

After a slightly deflating SEJAR (self evaluation joint annual review) today, we scored quite low due to us not meeting continuous provision / free flow within our baby and toddler areas.

Goodness knows why i thought this only applied to preschool, considering the EYFS covers all ages!

My question is how do you succesfully implement this into your settings (especially baby room).

As i understand it, we need to provide each workshop/area within each age range, but am struggling to get my head round how i can provide areas such as investigations.

I am really keen to hear from full day care nurseries who have been inspected under the EYFS, how did you get on and how are you implementing this in your setting?

Hi Lucy

our provision starts at 2 yrs so can't be that helpful. our 2's room has cont areas of provision but these are less in number that in our LA nursery room - they have role-play, soft-play, sand/water, art resources, small block play area, and open cupboard with mixture of toys.

our cont prov plans show how the art area provides for all kinds of mark-making - whereas in the nursery room there is a distinct mark-making table as well as the art area. the mix of toys available provides for fine-motor development and early lang/lit / numeracy skills - whereas later we provide distinct maths and literacy areas.

as a mum of a 1yr old i would say that they are investigating all the time so you can't put this within a particular area but the treasure baskets do particularly promote investigative play.

hope someone with more experience comes along with their ideas.

Hi nsunshine, thanks for your response.

We too have fewer areas in our two year old room and i feel we are well on the way to meeting what we should be.

Treasure baskets, of course! We have many readily available, perhaps i should have referred to these as our investigations area, which may have helped!!

We also received feedback on how our routines break up the day too much, which i fully understand. Within our 0-2 age range we do stop playing to eat snack, sleep etc but i just cant get my head round how we can sucessfully implement a snack bar in this age range, particularly with tinies who are not walking.

Sorry feel quite despondant at the moment, i so want to do right by the children and the EYFS but am feeling very unsure of how to do this!

Im quite surprised that i have only had one response to this question!!!!

I can only assume that most people are working with over three's so are not experiencing this.

I have researched this tonight and cant really find anything to support this!

I have decided that probably the best way to implement water, sand and malleable would be on a much smaller scale in the baby room, maybe by providing water etc in small margerine tubs to ensure children are gaining experiences but are not put at risk by the large amounts that are provided in the preschool.

Still confused i think!!

I've only been quiet because I, like you, am wondering how to implement the continuous provision/free flow principles most effectively in the baby room - I think we too would be marked "down£ for this at the moment. So I've been watching this thread for answers rather than contributing...maybe others are too!

Hi I am not based in a day-nursery so cant offer much help

Did you not receive any feedback as to what they were looking for or have a chance to question what they were looking for? (ive never been part of a SEJAR so not sure of the process)

I sometimes think that depending on who carries out reviews/inspections and depending on their understanding of early years the outcome doesnt always reflect the actual practice.

You will obviously have in place treasure baskets, cosy area, messy creative play etc and as you say the safety of the babies will influence what you can introduce as continuous provision.

Dont forget that adults and thier interaction with the babies are a valuable part of your continous provision

Hope you get some more ideas from day-care providers

P x

Dont forget that adults and thier interaction with the babies are a valuable part of your continous provision

You're so right! :o

We are full day care, we have sheets in each area which outline our continuous provision within that area. Off the top of my head it's a table with headings such as resource, which outlines the things we provide for this area e.g. messy area- paint, gloop, sand, play-doh, shaving foam etc.; then another section which has extentions of this e.g glitter, sticks, etc; another section with language e.g, how does it feel? sticky, runny, slimey; types of marks made, lines, circles, spirals; Can you roll it? squeeze it? press it? How does it smell? etc, and finally I think there are possible learning outcomes. Hope this is helpful!! Emma.xxx :o

Hello all

I know this topic is aboutproviding CP for babies and toddlers, but how can you provide CP in a room with limited space?, water and sand need to be out all day role play area etc etc., would appreciate any help rendered. My nursery is a converted house divided into 3 rooms babies, toddlers, and preschool., with garden.

Thanks

I am a childminder working with 9mth-4yr olds and I agree that it's sometimes easier to provide CP for older children, however I do use CP sheets and some areas are specifically focused on the under 2's. maybe you could provide different headings on your CP sheets that relate entirely to your group such as - sensory experiences (this could be water some weeks and sand others if you can't have it available continuously) but could include things like mirrors, fabrics, collage, music etc messy play, treasure baskets, stories and rhymes, outdoors etc. Obviously all these things can be changed in response to the child's interests.

Does that help any?

We also received feedback on how our routines break up the day too much, which i fully understand. Within our 0-2 age range we do stop playing to eat snack, sleep etc but i just cant get my head round how we can sucessfully implement a snack bar in this age range, particularly with tinies who are not walking.

Think there is a fine line here before the world goes mad and we just let chidlren do what they want all day!! with our 2-4's i am very concious of balancing the demands of a routine and teachign times with ensuring there are sustained periods of time for play. we have just gone back to group snack time with our 3's and always have sat down with our 2's. feel confident to 'argue' the merits of this with the powers that be.

if i was choosing a nursery for my daughter (1) i would actually want to know there were times when she would sit down to eat and rest. i do know a couple of friends who aren't sure there little ones get enough to drink at nursery - can't see how you coould have snack bar some of the older ones help themselves to each others drink as it is! but could you have one empty beaker within reach so crawlers and toddlers could indicate that they wanted a drink?

Thanks everyone, you have given me some inspiration!

I have planned a training session for the baby room staff to take place this week, myself and the manager will be running this. Although we are not 100% sure on how we will do this, we are hoping that the staff have some good ideas too!

I will let you all know how we plan to go about this!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)