Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas For The "drawing Table"

Hi this is my first request - I am still fairly new to the Forum!

I have just become Supervisor in my setting and would love to encourage more children to go to the "Drawing Table".

We always have pencils/crayons available. We use stencils, felt tips, chalks & chalk boards, tracing paper, different coloured paper, printed sheets (I know a big no no, but some children really love them, and we dont use them every day). We have clipboards, post its, still life items - flowers, fruit, toys connected with our planning - so quite a wide variety.

However the children just dont seem to be inspired by our table - any ideas are welcomed.

Many thanks.

Have a think about 'writing for a purpose', otherwise the resources are basically mark making equipment. :o

My preschool children loves 'writing' letters, having envelopes, post box and sheets of 1p stamps available.

Also consider 'writing' materials in all areas of the room, so when a child 'feels the the to record something' the tools are near to hand, if they have to move to the 'writing area' they can be easily distracted on the way, thus ,issing the 'writing' opportunity.

Not sure I've welcomed you, so A warm welcome to the forum TarasMum. xD Hope you've enjoyed what you've found so far.

Peggy

Have you tried modelling how to draw? Perhaps make a birthday card for someone, you could pretend it is your mum's birthday and she likes flowers so you are going to draw a picture of some flowers and make it into a card. Sit and play there for sometime making things. Don't worry if you can't draw the children will love what you do anyway :o

Hi TarasMum

Not sure I've welcomed you either - so welcome, if not!

One thing I've done in my setting is to have an A4 ring binder with plastic wallets full of different types of writing paper that I made on the computer: from Fifi to Power Rangers to In the Night Garden. It is really easy to cater for children's different interests, to encourage them in, and they have been well used. One little boy dictated a letter to MrsWeasley asking me to make some Tractor Tom paper last week - I can't wait to show it to him when he comes back next week from a few days off sick!

One of my degree colleagues looked at how to persuade boys to get involved with writing and she came up with paper cut into large batwing shapes for those into Batman. She also provided templates for making their own action hero comic strip. Very successful, indeed.

Maz

Hi Tara's mum if you are talking about drawing as opposed to writing I would include some small hand mirrors for the children to look at themselves (for portraits), one or two wooden manikin figures to give them a sense of the body so that they can draw from that.

As well as the things you have memtioned I would have oil pastels, soft pastels, charcoal or soft pencils (with cotton buds for smudging), brown paper and sugar paper (chalks and pastels are better on this type), a range of balck fibre tip pens (thick and thin berol are great). Also a range of art postcards or images downloaded from the net that the children can look at, talk about and be inspired. i try to keep a few of my art books to hand for the same purpose.

Check out this author as she as some fab books about chidlren's drawing (though they are expensive).

Ursula Kolbe 'It's not a bird yet The Drama of drawing'

'Rapuzel's Supermarket' all about young children and their art

'Drawing and Painting with under Threes'

Hope you find some of the above helpful

Hi

Thanks for your welcomes and all your ideas - some I have tried but will certainly try some of the others - I particularly like putting the paper all around the room - we have the clipboards so that will help. I will also try making special paper, with downloaded images.

We had as one of our activies recently chalk and charcoal on black and coloured paper - this was good fun too.

Many thanks for your ideas.

Apple, the books you mentioned by Kolbe look interesting but very expensive. Which one would you recommend over the other and why? Can't afford both....

Hi Taras Mum,

One idea Ive seen used and am planning to introduce in my room is to allocate a pin board or similar to the children so that they can choose their own work, drawings etc to be displayed.

- another idea is to literally fill the table with giant paper and encourage/invite the children to work as a group around the table to create a story map. It is always very tempting to join in with these and allows the children to really express themselves while chatting to each other>

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)