Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Space Activity Ideas - Q Pootle!

Hi all,

Not only am I new to this forum but I am also new to teaching!

I am currently teaching the topic 'Space' and wondered if anybody had any creative/good ideas/planning for this?

In particular, our book next week is Q Pootle 5! Has anyone ever used this book/got any ideas for activities?

In need of help!!

:o Tinky

Hi all,

Not only am I new to this forum but I am also new to teaching!

I am currently teaching the topic 'Space' and wondered if anybody had any creative/good ideas/planning for this?H

Hi I m in nursery but we have spent quite a few weeks 'doing' rockets and space, here are a few of the ideas -

we made an entrance to our role play by using large cardboard sheets to make a floor to ceiling rocket, with boosters etc we covered the window with cardboard leaving a large circle in the centre which we covered with red cellophane (so the lighting is different in there). we made a 'moon surface' with scrunched up tissue sheets, newspaper etc and made craters with plastic trays, then painted it . we made rockets from junk/plastic bottles etc. we made small planets from 'ball pool' balls with shapes bottle tops etc stuck on. the rockets and planets dangle over the moon surface from the ceiling. we made 'control panels' from bottle tops etc. we used space pictures from 3D books and stuck them onto the front of old computer terminals. we made a life size robot from boxes. we had a moon picnic when we made 'moon biscuits'. we got a lot of number, language and KUW out of it, comparing pictures of landscapes, clothes etc. lots of stories about space and songs. we have found a story about Fr Christmas and the space Alien so we are keeping the area as such but it will evolve into our Christmas role play as well. the children have (and still do ) use it very well. we also made a launch pad. we started by mind mapping with the children and they told us what they wanted from the topic. It all evolved because the children were making rockets with magnet blocks, mobilo ec!

hope there is something of interest, we looked at lots of different types of books = encyclopaedias, space info books and story books. It has been great!

cath

Thanks Cath - fantastic ideas which will be a brilliant help! Do you know the full title/author of the book you mentioned?

Tinky :o

No I don't have the title it was in a Christmas story book that one of the Mums found for us. basic idea is that the reindeers are poorly on Christmas eve. Fr Christmas sees a lovely star and wishes that he could delliver all his presents. The star turns out to be a space ship it lands and helps Fr Christmas to deliver the pressies by pulling the sledge. In the end the alien cries becuase he is lost, Fr Christmas has one present left in his sack and it is a 'Guide to the Galaxy Map Book'! so he can find his way home! (this was great for us as we are doing Mary and Joseph's journey to Bethlehem so have been talking about and drawing maps around school). another link is 'A Spaceman came Travelling' by Chris DeBurgh. glad the ideas are of some help. there is a photo on our school website.

cath

No I don't have the title it was in a Christmas story book that one of the Mums found for us. basic idea is that the reindeers are poorly on Christmas eve. Fr Christmas sees a lovely star and wishes that he could delliver all his presents. The star turns out to be a space ship it lands and helps Fr Christmas to deliver the pressies by pulling the sledge. In the end the alien cries becuase he is lost, Fr Christmas has one present left in his sack and it is a 'Guide to the Galaxy Map Book'! so he can find his way home! (this was great for us as we are doing Mary and Joseph's journey to Bethlehem so have been talking about and drawing maps around school). another link is 'A Spaceman came Travelling' by Chris DeBurgh. glad the ideas are of some help. there is a photo on our school website.

cath

Sorry to ask so many questions! Which school are you from/what is your school web address?

Sorry to ask so many questions! Which school are you from/what is your school web address?

hope this works

www.st-hughlincoln.trafford.sch.uk

just going to the match.

have a good afternoon.

I have more photos at home I will send more info tonight.

cath

Hi

Have you been on the Hamilton Early Years site? I think you have to pay about £12 a year but you can download loads of ideas for this topic and it includes a lot of the planning, well worth it. We do 'Space' topic in January.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)