Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds

As you know I have only just started my job and today I had a meeting with a childs KW from her other setting, she mentioned that we shouldn't be using jolly phonics anymore and now letters and sounds. I have heard a bit about letters and sounds (not much though!) and had planned to speak to our development officer when she gets round to seeing us! But can anyone tell me more? and any good resources you have used etc?

Thanks

I think it's a good idea to discuss this with your development officer, however we use letters and sounds and jolly phonics in the setting where I work. the teacher (also Foundation Stage Leader) feels that letters adn sounds is a bit dry and although jolly phonics has a few elements missing she combines the two as they complement each other really well and the children love the jolly phonic books, rhymes and actions!

We were told in our LEA that we could use any 'synthetic phonics programme' Jolly phonics is synthetic phonics so you should be able to stick with it.

I tend to use a mix of Jolly phonics to teach the sounds in a multisensory way along with some games from letters and sounds. As long as you are teaching blending and segmenting right through the word.

As others of said you can use any synthetic phonics programme which is what Jolly Phonics is or a mixture of the 2. The main point that has always been reinforced to me is that the setting or school has to be consistent in their approach to phonics. So if you decide to do the letters and sounds games and pacing using the jolly phonics actions (which is what I've always done) that's fine as long as everyone else who teaches phonics within the setting does the same.

what age/develoment stage would you start introducing children to letters and their sounds? The EYFS says 40 months + I think, but I have heard others say it should be left for schools to introduce. Any views?

We use letters & sounds, jolly phonics & a set of alphabet stories - little a had a box- he goes on to put lots of things in his box with the beginning, middle or end sound, bought them at a car boot sale years ago and the children love them. Obviously one for each sound/letter.

Having taught all the sounds in order of letters & sounds I am wondering about the graphemes.

I can understand doing the more common ones, ch, sh, th, ee, oo, but not so sure about ng, oa, ar etc. Can't help thinking it'll be a while before they actually read these in a book and as much as they will be re-visited wont they forget them as they are not used as much as sounds at this stage?

hope that makes sense!! :o

jackie.

Thanks kmb and Marion :o - I know it depends on the child but I was wondering what criteria people use to think 'this child is ready to learn about the alphabet'. Perhaps it is to introduce the alphabet in a very playful and low key way - like idea of little boxes with letters on - and see which children are interested and want to know more?

what age/develoment stage would you start introducing children to letters and their sounds? The EYFS says 40 months + I think, but I have heard others say it should be left for schools to introduce. Any views?

We were told that pre-school settings should be providing regular activities from Phase 1 of Letters and Sounds and that children shouldn't start more formal phonics work until they were in Reception.

Thanks Wolfie - that does make sense. I have just had a look at Letters and Sounds book and it does say p 35 'it is important to be observant of those children who can identify letter shapes and sounds and to encourage their curiosity and interest' - so phase one is not saying don't ever refer to the alphabet.

The low key approach Phase I of Letters and Sounds, and what you have been told, does seem to be backtracking from what is in EYFS for 40 months under linking sounds and letters - perhaps it is in response to the criticism they received in this area?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)