Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning For Individual Children

In my setting we focus planning on a small number of children each week, so that each child has a turn for planning to be based on thier interests and needs. This is good in a lot of ways - but does mean that when children ask for a particular resource or activity when it is not their 'turn' to be the planning focus, or when a particular interest or need is identied for a child who is not having their 'turn', then their individual choice or need or interest is not catered for until sometimes a month or two later.

Any opinions on how to overcome this?

We have a sheet for children's suggestions and requests. Then we accomodate it as soon as we can - eg two children wanted a pirate party - we talked it through with them, and the others, and set aside a Friday afternoon for it [we're preschool] It depends what it is, how quickly you can respond, I suppose, but at least if you've recorded it you're more likely to act upon it, in my experience. We also record how we've met their request. I don't know if that helps.

Thanks Weightman that does really help - I think you have shown that it is good to be flexible and respond quickly as possible - you would have missed a wonderful opportunity if you had not been so quick to respond.

Do you also have a system of planning for individual children on a rotating basis - or do you just go with the ones that are showing a particular interest in something? If the latter - do you do anything to make sure that all children have had a chance to influence planning at some point?

We're a High/Scope setting so maybe a bit different. The Key Workers plan for their own small group, and that means they can usually plan to each child's interst in Small Group Time about once a week. If it doesn't fit there, they can look at enhancing the provision at Work Time. And of course children say what they want to do at Planning Time anyway. If they say 'I want to bake biscuits' and we can't do it that morning we'd make a note & do it asap after that. Hope that makes some kind of sense!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)