Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Attainment On Entry

We are awaiting Ofsted and our head keeps flinging bits of paper at me and I feel a bit like Im drowning!!

She gave me something today about 'attainment on entry to reception'.

How do you all recod this? Do you give them a score from the EYFS profile which you can then compare with final score at end of year?

Do you use Development matters statement?

Or what do you all do?

I am sat here trying to pull it all together but I feel like crying!!

help!

xxx

Hi, nothing worse than waiting on that visit! We have been advised to use our observations from the first half term and then see where each child fits in the development matters e.g what age related band. When you ve done that then you can state relevant statistics like 6% in band 40-60months in CLL LCT etc. The most important thing is that it is based on your observations from the child and is not the old style baseline assessment. Hope this helps a bit!

I feel your pain, my head has done exactly the same thing to me! I spent all half term in a panic! In the end I looked at my observations for September in each child's learning journey plus at any notes I'd made when working with the children e.g. reading behaviour. I then inputted (is that a word?!) this to the e-profile. The e-profile then throws up loads of graphs that you can annotate which always gives you brownie points with anyone from above who doesn't really understand EYFS. I will then add more information to the e-profile at the end of each term which will chart term on term progress for each child and the six areas of the curriculum. It all looks very official and pretty and as long as you sound confident and talk a lot about observing child initiated learning for a true picture of on-entry attainment, you should be OK. I also discussed taking into account any assessments that had come from pre-schools although they were wide and varied. I don't think there is a set amount of time to call 'on entry', I have heard some people say two weeks and others half a term. I plumped for a month because I was concerned that any longer than that and I would be assessing learning that was taking place in my setting and should therefore be part of the Autumn term's attainment.

I know this is a bit gabbled but I also feel like I'm slowly sinking at the moment, I hope it throws you a life line.

Fluffchuffnuts X :o

Yes that does help a bit - thank you. Do you find that the majority of your children are in the 40-60 month band? Or do you have many in the 30-50 band?

Do you highlight statements from the 'development matters' - do you have a copy of these for all children?

I feel so swamped!

x

Yes that does help a bit - thank you. Do you find that the majority of your children are in the 40-60 month band? Or do you have many in the 30-50 band?

Do you highlight statements from the 'development matters' - do you have a copy of these for all children?

I feel so swamped!

x

Most of the children are just into the 40-60 band there are some that are still 30-50 and I have one little chap who is working below this. I haven't quite decided whether to highlight the 'development matters' statements yet or whether to stick with highlighting a profile tracker grid for each child like I did last year. All my info is stored on the e profile at the moment except for the chap who is working well below these stages, I am using a grid from 'development matters' for him. I might highlight 'development matters' for the rest of the class and cross-reference the objectives with the profile scale points to help inform my planning and the profiles at the same time; otherwise it can become a very long-winded process. What do you do?

Fluffychuffnuts X

I want to scream!! I feel like Im doing everything wrong!!

I havent got a clue!

I am trying to use the development matters statements and match them up when I do any observations. Just feels quite long winded. Am I to check through all th 30 - 50 months or just stick to focusing on the 40-60+ months?

Why cant it all be a bit more straight forward!!

I want to scream!! I feel like Im doing everything wrong!!

I havent got a clue!

I am trying to use the development matters statements and match them up when I do any observations. Just feels quite long winded. Am I to check through all th 30 - 50 months or just stick to focusing on the 40-60+ months?

Why cant it all be a bit more straight forward!!

hi. i do feel for you, it seems many of us are feeling the same way bit like being caught in the headlights! i am doing the same as the others only i am in a pre-school and do not have anyonne breathing down my neck........yet! compare with previous obs and match up....i was told it was a best fit......hmmm :o

Talk about a workload!

I baselined all my children at the start of the Reception autumn term against the development matters statments. I just photocopied the 40-60mths lot for each child and used them since most children are within that bracket (those that aren't i can then assess against the lower bracket). I continued to use these statements for each child, dating evidence against the statments, as that is what we have been told we should use.

Now, week 11 and the assessment co-ordinator needs my baseline, the development matters statments? oh no, no, no! She needs it in relation to the FSP scale points so now I have had to redo my baseline using the profile points. Hence doubling my workload.

I don't think anyone knows what is best practise and all these advisors are waiting for someone else to come up with a user friendly idea.

Meanwhile, I will plod on, filling out dev matters statements and FSP

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)