Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds Phase 1

Anyone doing this really successfully trying to put a halt on settings missing out phase 1 and thinking the children have to learn their letter sounds which is phase 2. need to point out how important phase 1 is.

We are in a CLLD project in our LA and they are making it very clear that PVI and maintained nurseries only use phase one. We are also in the project taking the messagfes from phase one through to phase six with games, music etc.

Hi Gwen,

This is my first year in YR, so not exactly an expert, though literacy is my thing.

We cross phase phonics throughout the school, YR children (and also a couple of Y1s) who needed phase one ran through it at the beginning of the year, before progressing onto phase 2 at the beginning of this week. We had a particularly bright bunch this year. so took the decision that those who were ready should go straight on to phase 2. In one case, this was a mistake, and the child in question, having completed phase 2 in terms of coverage, is now having to revisit that phase, with additional phase one activities as an extra, but otherwise it has worked well. However, all the children accessed phase one activities throughout the week as an extra, particularly the oral blending/segmenting aspect, and the musical awareness, which is ongoing for us.

If a child is struggling with blending/segmenting, whether they know letter sounds or not, we tend do more phase one stuff with them too. Having taught right the way through to Y6, I'm convinced that the problems we have had as a school with spelling are largely down to basic phonological awareness, children with poorly developed listening skills, and rushing on to quickly to make sure we were at the right point (in terms of coverage) for spelling bank in the juniors.

I'm a huge phase one fan!

Yes Marion that is how we are using it. I am in Kent and it is really making a difference to the confidence in our children. We are working with our feed PVI's to just use phase one and they are feeling quite relieved.

I am in a preschool and we are using phase one and have been doing a lot of the activities or similar as part of our planning for some time. However I have had several parents of children who attend a nursery in our area asking me why I dont do more. It seems their children are being taught to read - bring home books and words to practice. The chidlren in question both turned three last September.

smiles

we are a pre-school playgroup and use phase 1 our authority training suggested this however the private day nursery people I sat with said they would still use alongside phase 1 the reading scheme biff and chip books and phonics. the group they aimed it at was 3-4 but also had the 2yrolds in the phonic bit as they liked the music jingles that went with it. they also said pressure from parents to learn their children more formally was also a problem.

my children are 2-3 so we will stick to phase 1 and promote why we do this to parents.

sue

This is probably going to be a shock for some of you out there as it was to me.....but, i am working in a preschool and at present they do not have any letter/phonic focus at all.

It is something they are only just starting to think about.

I am a primary teacher and I have been employed to work on preschool planning for the next year as they do not have any....this year they had a long term plan of topic areas and that was it! I cannot understand how it has gone un-noticed for so long!

I am a little confused about how to start implementing the phase one that is mentionned above. Where to strat/record!!!

Jellytots

CLLD is a DCFS project that began before they published Letters and Sounds and we have been in it from the beginning. It means Communication Language and Literacy Development.

Phase One is about three things:-

Tuning into sounds (auditory discrimination)

Listening and remembering sounds (auditory memory and sequencing)

Talking about sounds (developing vocabulary and language comprehension)

and all this through 7 Aspects

Aspect 1: General sound discrimination – environmental sounds

Aspect 2: General sound discrimination – instrumental sounds

Aspect 3: General sound discrimination – body percussion

Aspect 4: Rhythm and rhyme

Aspect 5: Alliteration

Aspect 6: Voice sounds

Aspect 7: Oral blending and segmenting

When we started in the project Aspect 7 was in Phase 2 but the powers that be put it inot phase one and the recommendation is to leave this until children are really ready to do this.

You can find out more here and see the whole scheme

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/p...s_0028107_1.pdf

It really is great and children just love all the games and songs.

I agree with suewhit and see it as our job to tell parents just how good this is for their children and will enable them to hear phonemes when they are ready.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)