Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Records Of Achievement

Guest bobby

Good morning, Just a thought. If we are not to use the development matters as a checklist for achievements, then what are most people using instead. We are in a primary school nursery class and use the usual observations, scrapbooks etc. But do feel that we need some checklist of development. Have always used the stepping stones and a final assessment before leaving for school.

But wondered if anyone has thought of something else to use?

Have a good Rememberance Sunday

Thanks

I recently went on a observation and assessment training and we were shown mock ROA's which included print outs of the age relevant development matters statements. We were told we should only highlight and/or date statements that we have evidence for. We have started this but we can already see it will need a lot of fine tuning and adapting.

Karrie

Hi, thanks for this thread - we have been told not to use developmental matters as tick lists but as you say no one has really said what we should do instead. It seems strange to me that trainers are telling us to highlight developmental matters instead, since I can't see how highlighting is any different to ticking really - whether there is evidence to support the highlight/tick or not. I am interested to see what others think.

must agree, why is highlighting any different to ticking.. and hence this becomes a......(your starter for 10)

And if doing this how long will it take to hightlight or cover ALL those statements.. not like it is a few is it... How many in total?

which will take how long to highlight?

and this is reducing paperwork how?

Inge

must agree, why is highlighting any different to ticking.. and hence this becomes a......(your starter for 10)

And if doing this how long will it take to hightlight or cover ALL those statements.. not like it is a few is it... How many in total?

which will take how long to highlight?

and this is reducing paperwork how?

Inge

I have to agree, what's the point of having the dm's if not to use them. Also there are so many that it will take a lot of work and, then again, is it relevant. Why can't we just be told what will be acceptable for OFSTED instead of us having to spend so long preparing. Have to say there's enough to do ensuring the children have a wonderful environment and suitable activities with staff who are not too tire. Ho Hum.

Thanks for your replies. :o

I think that was why we were told to only highlight statements that we have evidence for, but then you'll get the serial highlighters who want to highlight every statement anyway, and also parents who will question why certain statements aren't highlighted because 'Johnny was born able to do that!'. Like I said we're taking the 'suck it and see' approach for now and can already see certain things are not going to work as intended.

Karrie

Hi, we currently have done the same typed the statements in months and then hghlighted as they have acheived them, as we do do not know how we can remember for every chld what they have achieved. Does anybody use the scale that are the computer 1-9 that are used for reception, does anyone use them for nursery school children. 0258 x

We've been told by Borough advisor that we shouldn't use the profile point for nursery. Perhaps at end would be suitable. However, our Head has asked me to use points 1-3 to assess on entry to nursery!!!!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)