Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Changing Schools After A Year

I worked in my first school for 4 years and gained a TLR whilst I was there. In Sept this year I have started at another school with a higher TLR point - FSL. Everything in school is OK but I feel it is not the school for me. The HT is very very laid back and life is fairly easy - I know it sounds crazy to be complaining! I am on the SLT team but the HT makes no demands of his SLT team. Also the school has a reputation of no one ever leaving, which I thought was a good thing, but it seems no one leaves because no one has ambition - they are not empowered as staff to be better.

Would it be wrong to move school again and start somewhere else in Sept, will it look bad on my CV? I do want to become a DHT but know that I need more experience yet, so I am ambitious but I feel my current school isn't going to help my future prospects.

I would say you have probabaly answered your own question. Sometimes a school just isnt right for us, and if you want a challenge, maybe you need to look for something that does that, perhaps a school operating in difficult circumstances.

You may be asked about it in future interviews, I know I was as I had a lot of career movement at one point but I was able to justify it and it wasnt a problem.

I think you have two options really.

1. Hang on in there, speak to your head and ask for additional reposnsibilities, maybe a project or some action research you could be involved with?

2. start looking for soemthing more of a challenge for you.

Thanks for the response, yes you are right, I have answered my own question. I have been approached by a HT who is looking for someone to run a new FS Unit in a primary school, they need someone for September and it is in a different authority which I think would be good experience.

I think I need to consider all my options and if I do move then I have a genuine reason for doing so.

Thanks again.

but it seems no one leaves because no one has ambition - they are not empowered as staff to be better. - Bagel face

I think this is really sad, I have been in quite a few schools but in one of my previous schools there were at least 3 members of staff who had been there for over 20 years and were brilliant teachers. The longer I have been teaching the more unfair I think the whole system is. I first started teaching in a private school. I worked there for 7 years and maybe because I was lacking in confidence I was unsure of applying elsewhere. While I was there I applied for the position of senior teacher. In the last 10 years I have worked part time and I have worked very hard and done really well in Ofsteds etc but I don't have a tlr. I know I am ranting but I feel there are a lot of really brilliant teachers out there who because they don't put themselves forward get no recognition. I feel I have lots of ambition but unfornately it is the type of ambition that won't get me any finacial reward. I have found a really nice school that is going to be going through a bit of turmoil because of staffing issues but my ambition is to make sure those children are getting the best possible opportunities and that i provide continuity by staying and making sure we become the best we can.

I worked in my first school for 4 years and gained a TLR whilst I was there. In Sept this year I have started at another school with a higher TLR point - FSL. All I can say is wow lucky you .

I understand what you are saying Ger and I do agree. My current school has some excellent teachers but I feel the leadership don't recognise that. Staff meetings are pure chaos, everyone arguing and disagreeing and the HT not making any decisions. Staff leave the meetings annoyed but it doesn't last long, they rant for 10 mins and then just except their lot. I don't want to do that.

I guess I am saying the school isn't right for me as I want a more pro-active, empowering HT who recognises staff and praises/rewards them.

i was in a school for 3 years then moved to another shool i sayed there for only a year before moving this sept, the school wasnt right for me and knew that so didnt want to waste any more time there and miss out on other great oppertunites that were right for me. touch wood the i made thr right coice as this job i am now in is perfect for me and im truely loving it xx

I am not a teacher but the thought has just gone through my mind that if teachers find different schools do not suit them then how much worse for the children, who are also all different, having to blend into a class and settle - like it or not. We do ask a lot of them. I have three children who have very different experiences, memories and opinions about school. Now wouldn't the EYFS really have achieved something if we could ensure that every single child needs were being met in all settings. Possible?

I am not a teacher but the thought has just gone through my mind that if teachers find different schools do not suit them then how much worse for the children, who are also all different, having to blend into a class and settle - like it or not. We do ask a lot of them. I have three children who have very different experiences, memories and opinions about school. Now wouldn't the EYFS really have achieved something if we could ensure that every single child needs were being met in all settings. Possible?

Possible?

I'd like to hope so, at least for 99% of the time, allowing the 1% for an 'off day' (child or teacher) :o

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)