Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Personal Safety

I need to plan an activity about promoting personal safety in children, do the activity and write about it for My Foundation Degree in Early Years, Safeguarding Children assigment.

So far areas I have thought of to could cover include

sun/skin care

firewoks safety

road safety

stranger danger

personal safety-private places??? ie some parts of bodies are private

When to call 999 & why to call 999

firedrill

safe people to talk to

what does feeling safe feel like? - i thought this could be a good starting point

My activity will need to be suitable for children aged 3 and 4 years old.

Any exciting or creative ideas welcome...my brain has gone blank1

Many thanks x

Haven't got any bright ideas but I wondered as well as your starting point;

what does feeling safe feel like? - i thought this could be a good starting point, also ask when or what does it feel like when you don't feel safe.

The term 'safe' is quite an abstract concept isn't it.

I'm thinking the familiar terms for children would be

people who help us

Rules (around roads, fireworks, strangers etc) and maybe ask why, ie: thinking of consequences is you don't follow rules.

Then maybe ask them to think of 'safety' rules for the setting.

How can we stay safe on the climbing frame, on ou walks, using scissors etc etc.

then move on to the more abstract.

The body safety/stranger danger (or realistically familiar people danger) for me starts with 'own' space, confidence, not allowing others to bully, hurt, right to say 'no' (in everyday contexts). Given the language to say to a friend, peer, 'No, don't do that, it's not kind, I don't like it, don't touch me, you're too close, or even 'you're in my space' etc etc.

These could be role played, but I personally think it is about attitudes which are developed over time through various methods such as good adult role models, who don't use their size and power to 'control' adults role models who show respect for childrens space, build up their self esteem, confidence, help them use the words to tell their friends if they are upsetting them etc.

Peggy

Guest pamgreen
I need to plan an activity about promoting personal safety in children, do the activity and write about it for My Foundation Degree in Early Years, Safeguarding Children assigment.

So far areas I have thought of to could cover include

sun/skin care

firewoks safety

road safety

stranger danger

personal safety-private places??? ie some parts of bodies are private

When to call 999 & why to call 999

firedrill

safe people to talk to

what does feeling safe feel like? - i thought this could be a good starting point

My activity will need to be suitable for children aged 3 and 4 years old.

Any exciting or creative ideas welcome...my brain has gone blank1

Many thanks x

Guest pamgreen

I have done protective behaviors training which is a is a practical and down to earth approach to personal safety. it might be a good idea for you to research this topic. I think teaching children about stranger danger may be a little misleading as often children are at more risk from familiar adults.

Guest pamgreen
THanks ladies, brilliant ideas both of you x

pamgreen, do you have any suggestions of where I could find info on Protective behaviours?

Guest pamgreen

If you Google protective behaviors there is a website and you may get some info from there. I know there are PB trainers all over the country. Let me know if you have no luck. I found the training brilliant. In the incentive plus catalogue you can also get books on this subject.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)