Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Nurse Job Descriptions Being Re-written

Hi, I work as a nursery nurse in a school nursery.

We recently received a visit from the union GMB telling us that all Job Descriptions for Nursery Nurses are being re-written. I am not sure why this is but have been led to believe it is to do with the EYFS and the extra hours of care that settings are asked to provide.

My nursery teacher has also confirmed that our Council are re-writing the job description for nursery nurses and they will be in place by September 2009. However, she doesn't know what impact this will have on me yet.

GMB have informed me though, that our council is one of a few Councils still employing nursery nurses on a 52 week contract and this will be one of the major changes within the new job description. They are going to be reducing them to 39 week contracts in line with the TA's.

Is anyone else aware of these (or any other) changes? Where do we stand? Can they reduce our contract from 52 to 39 weeks (even though we only work 39 weeks at present)? Can they force us to work during school holidays to make it up to 52 weeks? This will have serious implications on pay and I am so worried about it all.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Regards,

Julie

Hiya and welcome

This has been on the cards for a long time,trying to reduce paying NN in the school holidays.I am a nursery nurse on a 52 week contract in a school. they would still have to pay us holiday pay so it would work out we would be 6 weeks pay down a year after our holiday pay is added on to the weeks.

I dont know where we stand as to them changing the contracts, I am also in GMB union and there is lots of things changing with the implementation of single status.

What area are you in.

Sorry cant offer any help, just to let you know there are a few of us this position.

I know a little bit about this I think it is to with single status!! A long time ago, over a year ago there was lots of talk aboout single status in he borough I work in. We were told that Nursery Nurses were anomilies and this was going to change as part of single status. We were told our contracts and therefore, our wages were going to be brought in line with TA's. This means not being paid for holidays. The GMB held a meeting about this and we were then offered new contracts which meant working at a much higher level for about a thousand pound a year extra.

Many of us wrote letters to appose these contracts as the level of work was pretty much the same as a Teachers but for a lot less money. We also apposed the 39 week contract as this would result in a considerable drop in wages. Then we heard nothing and still don't really know what is going to happen. There were rumours that it was going ahead, and rumours that we would loose a big chunk of our pension as we would be considered part time workers under the new contracts. We heard this meant all previous pension payments would be considered at a part time rate even if you have been paying in for years!!

I am not surprised that it is all starting up again as I believe it will affect every Nursey nurse in the country and those in schools have the most to lose. Unfortunately we may also have the quietest voice (think how many nursery nurses are employed in schools especially now as many T.As are now employed in the foundation stage.)

This is all I know, I have no answers for you sorry. There are many articles about single status on the Nursery World web site worth having a look. I hope we can stop it happening most Nursey Nurses in the borough I work in were not prepared to take this lying down!! The government harp on about the importance of well qualified early years practitoners then they stop employing them in schools or treat them as unqualified TA's. It's unfair that we are not paid fairly for what we do. Gaining higher qualifications for example the foundation degree is not rewarded with higher wages but lowering wages is presented as fair option for many well qualified experienced Nursery Nurses, who will have no option but to leave the profession. What will be the impact on our children? I will sign off now as I feel a soap box moment coming on!!

Not sure if I can be of any use here.... Our NN's were told that they would all be level 3's and have pay rises (by the union). When it happened they were then told about the reduced hours (not getting paid for school hols) so in the end their pay rise was virtually nil and now they have to work 30 mins a day extra for the same pay. It has all been a total con as they have to cover PPA and teacher sickness for what is in effect less pay. This is no help to you but in our Authority (Knowsley) it has been in effect for over 12 months. They do not have to work during school hols...

Hi and welcome,

I am a nursery nurse in london. We (nursery nurses in schools) tried hard to fight this but feel the unions sold us out. We are now paid approx 46 weeks ( it would have been less but this was agreed due to long service) We also have to work longer hours so our pensions are not affected. The only plus is that we are still called nursery nurses and not TAs. However many schools are now employing level 2 TAs in the nursery and reception classes as they are cheaper. We have 'training level 2s ' on placement in my work place. It upsets me how very little training they need in child development to qualify and then take the places of nursery nurses in the early years. Rant over. I hope things work out better for you.

Before I arrived at my job, nursery nurse did not get paid during holidays, but as I arrived they worked out the yearly rate and then just divided it over 12 pay days............

Well this was what I have thought for the past 12 years!!!!!!

I hope it is so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!

Thanks very much for all your replies. It's an interesting time and I just hope we don't end up suffering too badly! I will let you know the outcome!

Julie

In my LA existing NN are paid 52 weeks a year but new NN are only being paid term time and don't have the same pension rights

Thanks for that Marion its reassuring.I know thats no comfort for new NN's but after 27 years I would certainly be up for a legal challenge if my contract and pension rights were threatened.When I started I was only paid for weeks worked and then as previously said the wage divided into 12 so it appeared we took a monthly wage drop but it was the same yearly amount just evened out.Surely it then doesn't work to divide the total amount into 52 and only pay us for 45.