Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Academic Poster

Guest Wolfie

I'm mentoring a work colleague who has just started the Foundation Degree - she's been asked to produce an "academic poster" about a chosen health initiative and has been told that it's not like a "normal" poster for the wall.

What is it then? Can anyone shed some light on the kind of thing she is meant to produce? It's a new one on me!

whatever next! I just googled it (didn't have a clue myself) and there are some websites that help you with the design of academic posters. The first website I saw was the University of Leicester which offers an interactive online tutorial on creating academic posters. Good Luck. mrsW

Well. If it is like the posters we had to do, basically it is just a straightforward poster with all that entails: good use of layout, colour etc. However the person who designed the poster annotates it (usually a photocopy or large photograph) to reference the theories/theorists and legislation/legal frameworks that have informed his/her decisions about what to include.

Also there is a need to consider the intended audience of the poster, and consider inclusion issues such as the language and vocabulary used so that as many different groups can read and understand the poster as possible.

Its a fairly standard thing in higher education (we had to do them for Foundation Degree as well as a huge one for our research project), but I would strongly suggest your mentee asks some detailed questions if she's unsure. I'm fairly certain that different universities have different criteria - certainly ours had the study guides available from the learning resource centre as well as on the internet.

Maz

Thanks for that link mrsW and for the top tips, Maz! How big is it meant to be then?

Well again I'd say that would depend on the academic requirements of the university. From memory I think our had to be at least A3 but no bigger than A1 (flipchart sized). This was largely governed by the setting - some settings are bigger than others and our only childminder felt an A1 sized boad was too big for her hallway! xD

However the poster for our research project was about 3m x 2m max or something ridiculous! :o

This was largely governed by the setting - some settings are bigger than others

So the aim is for it to be suitable for display in the setting then?

So the aim is for it to be suitable for display in the setting then?

Well. Since the Foundation Degree is essentially work-based the idea is that all the work undertaken should be of direct relevance to the learner's work. So (in my very humble opinion) I'd say yes: it should be suitable for display in the setting.

Does your candidate have to give a poster presentation too? We certainly did, and that included feedback from the time the display was in the setting.

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)