Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Right From the Start.

Whilst still trying to develop a manageable system for the assessment/recording/planning/evaluation cycle, I have just read "Right From the Start" by Vicky Hutchin. (It's listed on our books page here). It's a book that, while easy to read (I read it over two days), is full of practical advice about setting up such a system. Detailed explanations of the whys and hows of long- medium- and short-term planning are included along with the crucial step of using assessments to inform planning. The role of the adults in your setting, in modelling language and in sharing children's records with the children themselves is given particular emphasis. Types of assessments are discussed and ideas on how to gather evidence of learning and development are presented. An interesting section on the disadvantages of checklists to assess children offers opportunities for staff discussions in your setting. Hutchin summarises the most important reasons for creating children's records through a range of evidence-based observation techniques. Included in the book are many examples of observations along with sections detailing the next steps in children's learning.

I found it an inspiring book for two reasons; it really has given me ideas on using assessments to inform short-term planning, and it has also confirmed that much of what we do in my setting is very best practice. Phew! :o

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Helen

this sounds like a really good book

can I make a suggestion ?

could you include the isbn number so that it is easier to order or find in a book shop

I have money to spend in Waterstones but will need to order most of the ones I want by isbn as I have not yet managed to find many good books in the Early years or teaching sections

I would love to get Nicola Calls book but Waterstones don't seem to have heard of it and my library does not have it either

Kazz

• 3 weeks later...

Kazz - I'm sorry that you're having difficulty getting a copy of The Thinking Child. It has only been out for four months, and I know that when ALPS was first released it was a little while before it was available in libraries and at all bookstores.

Often you can get hold of a copy and a store or library will start stocking a book if it is requested, so if you wanted to request a copy the isbn number of The Thinking Child is 185539121X In the meantime, I will mention to my publisher that you have had this difficulty.

Enjoy spending your vouchers - there's nothing I like more than book shopping. :o

Hi Kazz -

I'm also sorry. I forgot to track this topic so I didn't read your reply until I saw Nicola's post come up!

Nicola gave you the ISBN for her book. The ISBN for the Vicky Hutchin book is 0340730498.

Enjoy all your summer reading!

Regards, Steve.

I went out and bought this book and have found it very useful. However, I am finding the whole planning process more than a little daunting. As someone who is working on their own I feel a huge responsibility to get it right. The last playleader did no real planning and so I have no starting point. I have set myself a target for getting my long and medium term plans in place over the next fortnight. I have a feeling I will be returning to this book regularly! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)