Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Roleplay Ideas

Hi again guys,

Sorry to bother you all again. Wondering if anyone has any good ideas for roleplay area for day and night topic theme. I was hoping to tie it in with my literacy texts over the next few weeks, owl babies, this is the bear and the scary night, night monkey day monkey etc so was thinking along the lines of a woodland/forest theme - but how would I make it look dark??!!!! I know that seems a really stupid question!!!!!!

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Was also possibly thinking about a cave but I am very limited in what i can suspend from ceiling, (alarms) so again, ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Nomie x

ps has anybody been to see bond film yet?! I am hopefully going tonight - so excited!!!!

Hi Nomie. I've moved your post into the Drama and Role-play area. Have a look around and you may find some ideas. Don't apologise for bothering us, we are all here to help each other. In fact there's nothing we like better :o

Hi we have a couple of dark blue pop up gazeebos with sides we sometimes use indoors too - and its dark and atmospheric if yo have the sides on , or what abot a 2 man tent in a dark colour -zipped up that might be fairly dark -Diz

Those pop up tents are good too....... and cheap to buy if you haven't got one.

We also made a cane wigwam type enclosure when we wanted to use the torches to good effect

We also had a tunnel which was made when we used our cupboards almost back to back with a gap wise enough for a child or two to get through and then we covered that over with dark material......... it worked well and I think it had actually been a snow tunnel too....... or similar!!!!

How aboput sheets over the backs of 2 big chairs? Quick and easy!

I got this large box, big enough for at least 4 children - it is outside under a cover, it has being a castle, a hotel, a house and now it's going to be a police station but something like that would be great you could paint it black cover it with dark material, some glow in the dark stars. I got a little pop up house in asda £2 covered it in navy material and the children really liked the torches in there.

We used big sheets of cardboard, then covered them in black crepe paper and a mix of PVA and water, so it set really hard and all crinkly like rock walls. The children loved doing it (but watch the dye in crepe paper!) Although hard, they are still flexible enough to bend and shape.

We made 6 sheets, and the children bend and fold them into the shapes they want, then cover with some blackout cloth and a piece of old black velvety material - they have managed to get it pretty dark now. It keeps falling down, but that's been part of the fun, trying to build it up again.

Nothing beat letting them go in my cupboard yesterday, though, once we'd blocked out every available light source round the edge of the door. I'd forgotten how excited little ones get, and how much they squeal.

"Put me in again, put me in again!"

And now I've got to put everything back in there.... :o

Hi again guys,

Sorry to bother you all again. Wondering if anyone has any good ideas for roleplay area for day and night topic theme. I was hoping to tie it in with my literacy texts over the next few weeks, owl babies, this is the bear and the scary night, night monkey day monkey etc so was thinking along the lines of a woodland/forest theme - but how would I make it look dark??!!!! I know that seems a really stupid question!!!!!!

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Was also possibly thinking about a cave but I am very limited in what i can suspend from ceiling, (alarms) so again, ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Nomie x

ps has anybody been to see bond film yet?! I am hopefully going tonight - so excited!!!!

Hello,

Our topic for this term is light and dark and we have made a wonderful cave. I bought a rainbow attachment from Ikea £5 that is supposed to fix onto a either side of a child's bed. We used this between 2 screens to create a cave shape and draped black material over the top and down the back. On top of this I placed a camouflauge net to add some weight and darkness/interest. I popped in some torches with coloured filter tops and batteries and the children really enjoyed the experience. ( Only problem is they have been taking the batteries out of the Beebots to replace the ones in the torches when they run out!)

When we move on in the term I will convert the cave to a stable and place some nativity clothes, crib and baby inside. Two for the price of one! :o

hope this helps

Legga x[/font]

Hi

I did a rocket one year for light and dark - the children loved it. We made it using a tall roll of corrigated card, the 'nose cone' was draped material caught up at the centre. We then decorated the rocket with foil, cut round windows etc. We had access via a play tunnel and inside had floor cushions, 'radio' equipment, walkie talkies etc.

We added stars around and painted rockets etc. The children loved the story 'Here come the Aliens' by Colin McNaughton and this prompted some lovely art work.

Good luck :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)