Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Keyperson

Hi

I am still getting to grips with the EYFS and feel that I am doing really well but both my headteacher, LSA and I are all at a standstill with this keyperson requirement. How has everyone else approached this, we are planning on splitting the class between myself and lsa - is this the right thing to do? How have people approached this with the parents - explaining the reasoning behind it but also explaining that as the class teacher all chidlren are my responsibility - I am totally confused!!!!

Liz

Liz we do this and have done so for may years. Teacher and Ta both have a key group and children meet with them for registration, small group time and snack. We all share info re all children at CI time but as you say in the end the teacher has that overall responsibility.

Parents were fine and happy to know their child had a key person and it does make meeting and greeting much easier as well as going home time as parents come into class at the beginning and end of the day.

The TAs love it as they feel truly part of the team

Go for it you will find it makes a good partership!

We were told by our LEA that the teacher should be the key worker for all children in the class and that other adults working in the class should support the observation, assessment and planning etc.

I go along with Emilia. It is not about having "responsibility for" but about giving children the opportunity to relate in a smaller group and form stronger attachments. There are numerous ways of doing this and Emilia has given some examples. It could also be through dong the following in their smaller key group

establishing "Key Times" where children can "show and tell" ,

story times,

smaller circle times,

walks,

focussed activities and games,

having a teddy that goes home and the family takes photos and fills in a diary - this is then shared in the key group

When it comes to parents all they need to know is that every day children are given the opportunity to meet in a smaller group for ..... (whatever the activities are) in order for them to relate to a smaller group of children. Some children will find it much easier to speak out loud in a smaller group.

Hope that is helpful. In my last teaching post I had 2 TAs (one was just mornings) and so we had 3 key groups and the children did self registration in their groups as well as focussed activities, sharing stories, chatting about their weekends, outdoor play...

Hope you find that useful

Don't have full time TA so I am key worker for all children in class. However as suggested children have small group times with myself or TA daily and we both contribute to planning, observing and assessing children.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)