Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journey Sheets

Hi all,

Just thought I would start a discussion (if anyone is interested) on the use of the learning journey sheets from the EYFS - what are people's experience of using these now we're 1/2 a term in? How do you use them?

Currently we are doing 4 per week (2 each from key group) - which means 1 per half term per child. We use these and other incidental obs from the week (and previous weeks) to plan 1 or 2 activities/enhancements/support for these children - making sure the activities/enhancements will also appeal to others. I would also be interested in hearing from people who do individual plans for each area of learning - this seems mind boggling even thinking about it to me? We plan our other activities and enhancements from other observations of all children and also fit some within our theme which tends to last 2-3weeks and is child-led.

My only real concern about using the learning journey sheets in this way is that you might always end up covering the same area of learning everytime you do this for a child?

green hippo xx

Hi green hippo,

we use the sheets too. It sounds like we do the same as you with regards observations and planning.

I also use a summary sheet per child with columns for the six areas of learning across the top to tick off when we have done an observation in that area. This shows,over time, which area of learning hasn't been observed so you can decide if it's because the child doesn't access that particular area or if you missed an observation of the child in that area.

We don't do 6 individual plans (one for every area of learning)because one activity will always cover several areas of learning anyway.

Hi all,

Just thought I would start a discussion (if anyone is interested) on the use of the learning journey sheets from the EYFS - what are people's experience of using these now we're 1/2 a term in? How do you use them?

Currently we are doing 4 per week (2 each from key group) - which means 1 per half term per child. We use these and other incidental obs from the week (and previous weeks) to plan 1 or 2 activities/enhancements/support for these children - making sure the activities/enhancements will also appeal to others. I would also be interested in hearing from people who do individual plans for each area of learning - this seems mind boggling even thinking about it to me? We plan our other activities and enhancements from other observations of all children and also fit some within our theme which tends to last 2-3weeks and is child-led.

My only real concern about using the learning journey sheets in this way is that you might always end up covering the same area of learning everytime you do this for a child?

green hippo xx

We use them after we have done an observation then we add a picture to back up the childs next steps, not sure if this is the right way but I'm finding that I'm spending all day writing and observing and not having the time to interact with the children. Can anyone else out there relate to my experience of this EYFS ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)