Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Expected Progress In Reception

Hi My head now expects my performance management to incorporate an expectation that children will progress at least three stepping stones" as she puts it whilst in Reception- I consider this to be a crude and unrealistic measure of my part in the childrne's achievements. Any advice?

I believe there is (and should be) no 'formula' for progress for a child in the foundation stage. I think its unrealistic of your head to expect you to make these targets so you have my sympathies that it is expected of you.

I have same target for my performance management! I suppose there needs to be something measurable and that fits the bill. My children have come in with very poor baselines so don't feel too challenged and data is easy to get from e profiles!

I agree it's crude and difficult to judge where children are going to be at the end of the year but we've found it realistic that most children move on about 4 profile Scale Points over the year in F2. Last year 84% of our children moved on 4 points in reading, 77% moved 4 in writing and 93% moved 4 in MD.

Although I did loathe targets to begin with, after about 4 years I now find data really interesting and a useful tool in looking at our school's strengths and weaknesses. Did take me a while to embrace it though! :o

Maybe looking at last year's data, and how much progress children made over the year, will help you in target setting for this year.

What exactly does your head mean by "stepping stones"???

Do you mean attainment of EYFSP points?? - I think you can look at the % of pupils getting 78 points+ or % of 6+ scores across PSED/CLLD as these are also LA and national measures so there is some ability to use this data in your school SEF etc. And dont forget quality PROVISION is what raises attainment NOT numbers on the wall.

Cx

What exactly does your head mean by "stepping stones"???

Do you mean attainment of EYFSP points?? - I think you can look at the % of pupils getting 78 points+ or % of 6+ scores across PSED/CLLD as these are also LA and national measures so there is some ability to use this data in your school SEF etc. And dont forget quality PROVISION is what raises attainment NOT numbers on the wall.

Cx

I too have been asked to predict the scale point for end of EYFS and thought 4 scale points would be what was expected. however, our SIP is due in and I've been told the targets aren't high enough and I am bucking the trend and need to revise the targets and set higher so most achieve 7 to 9.

I understand target setting of 2 sub levels for NC - but what is the expected scale points for EYFS. My experience is upper KS2 so any advice is welcome.

Irene, what sort of school are you in and what is the cohort like? What has happened in previous years?

6 is the "average" score so 7 -9 would be very high achieving and 9 especially is exceptional. I would be very cautious of committing to this sort of data.

Don't know whether this helps but for target setting I predict 3+ points progress throughout the year so individual targets are based on their entry to reception FSP scores. If they come into Reception at FSP 3 then the target is 6 +. This has satisfied my SLT and given me a measurable target for my performance management. I appreciate that numbers are less important than provision and opportunities given to the children but as reception teachers we are also asked to conform with certain school processes such as target setting.

Don't know whether this helps but for target setting I predict 3+ points progress throughout the year so individual targets are based on their entry to reception FSP scores. If they come into Reception at FSP 3 then the target is 6 +. This has satisfied my SLT and given me a measurable target for my performance management. I appreciate that numbers are less important than provision and opportunities given to the children but as reception teachers we are also asked to conform with certain school processes such as target setting.

That is a good idea im gonna copy!

So if say for disposistion and attitudes at entry they get 2+ you would expect them at the end of fs to get 5+? is that right?

I just worry that a too formulaic approach to children's development (which is as unique as each of them are) can lead to low expectations - why 5 and not 6 for example. Do you take their age and stage of development into account?

Cx

it is difficukt especially when it such be personalised by by head does not understand fs at all and is looking for me to give him a stat so i though that 3+ seems an achievable and average enough stat to be getting on with x x x :o

5 would be the minimum number of FSP points expected. Each child is individual and treated as such, most will achieve beyond the 3+ points progress but some may not. In an ideal world Catma I would not be looking at figures but it is expected in schools that we conform to some extent, it doesn't affect the way I deliver the curriculum or the way I treat my class of 30 individuals but it does help me keep track of their achievements alongside the 30 learning journeys I produce (only got part time TA) and it satifies my SLT that I am tracking progress in a way that is easy for all to follow. I have to say that as a reception teacher we find ourselves in a very difficult position, we want to deliver a fully practical curriculum indoors and outdoors but also have to face the fact that SLTs and KS1 put a different emphasis on curriculum delivery and we have to fit in with timetabled assemblies, PE sessions, ICT sessions etc. and 20 mins phonics every day. I know thatmyself and many of my colleagues are finding it extremely difficult because the planning doesn't fit in with school requirements never mind the assessments. Sorry having a rant! life very stressful at moment!

5 would be the minimum number of FSP points expected. Each child is individual and treated as such, most will achieve beyond the 3+ points progress but some may not. In an ideal world Catma I would not be looking at figures but it is expected in schools that we conform to some extent, it doesn't affect the way I deliver the curriculum or the way I treat my class of 30 individuals but it does help me keep track of their achievements alongside the 30 learning journeys I produce (only got part time TA) and it satifies my SLT that I am tracking progress in a way that is easy for all to follow. I have to say that as a reception teacher we find ourselves in a very difficult position, we want to deliver a fully practical curriculum indoors and outdoors but also have to face the fact that SLTs and KS1 put a different emphasis on curriculum delivery and we have to fit in with timetabled assemblies, PE sessions, ICT sessions etc. and 20 mins phonics every day. I know thatmyself and many of my colleagues are finding it extremely difficult because the planning doesn't fit in with school requirements never mind the assessments. Sorry having a rant! life very stressful at moment!

Thanks so much for all the good advice from everyone. I have met with head and looked at children again. on average we have agreed 4 points progress for majority of children with 5 points for those demonstrating more ability and 3 for children with SEN . I am in a high achieving school whereby at end of KS2 we usually have 90+% L4 or above. However we have found this year that FS points given for the last cohort were high and perhaps not that accurate, I want to make sure I give a true picture so that the year 1 teacher does not feel under so much pressure and setting end of yr 2 targets will be more achievable. We have decided to moderate EYFS in school with my colleagues in Key satge 1 this year so everyone understands where we are coming from. I feel better now I've got achievable targets. Sorry it took me so long to reply but had a couple of nights off!!

6 is the "average" score so 7 -9 would be very high achieving and 9 especially is exceptional. I would be very cautious of committing to this sort of data.

I agree with the above and this is also what we were told at moderation, all other practitioners on courses have also agreed with these figures and yet when the final figures for the county profuiles were released it is amazing how many schools have high achieving, exceptional children!

We were very cautious with our assessments last year and children were only given a point if we had seen or heard information to indicate they were achiving it consistently with evidence if applicable. (radical thinking I know but it had not previously happened!) Last week we had a letter to say an Early Years Advisor was coming to discuss this with us as our average scores were less than the county average. We are a 3 term entry school we had a large intake of Summer born children, a high percentage of boys and writing was the only area that we got less than 6 points was writing.

I have changed the way assessments are approached in the school in line with EYFS and good practice and am looking forward to justifying our stance with the LEA and hope they can show all these exceptional children that are popping up!

Sharon

I know it's tricky and believe me, I am the one that is usually sat in Heads offices trying to get them to understand the intricacies of the EYFSP on behalf of the many schools I support (and moderate) - have you considered looking at the % of the cohort that are at national expectations on entry to reception (secure across 30 - 50 and emerging into 40 - 60+ - Ofsted latest guidance) and then ensuring that your target is that same % getting 6+, plus whatever conversions you then need to add on to show your value added based on your knowledge of the children.

You could look at those children getting 2 or 3 points on entry to reception as equivalent to the national expectation as that equates with the previous blue/green ss expectation. (previous ofsted on entry guidance).

Continuous upward education that the statutory expectations for Reception are not just about curriculum any more and that reception is at the END of the EYFS not the first year of Primary is still needed I know but it is shifting. Personally I think Yr1 is now the centre of battle - at least we have the law on our side!!

Cx

catma I couldn't agree more re setting targets for performance management and also re Y1. We use the % or children achieving 6+ in PSE and CLL and we have found this to be easy to track as at the end of this term we make our on entry judgements ( we are YR) of where the children are now given our info from parents our observations this term and our info from the children. We can now see what %'s are and with value added we can agree where we think would be a challenging but realistic target for the end of YR.

I heard Jenni Lindon in London last week at the TES exhibition and took back to the HT that the EYFS end at the end of YR not at the beginning and he was really good and seems to be listening more! My Y1 colleagues are using the profile and our conversations and children have child initiated time in Y1 also and these become challenge times as the year goes on. Children seem to have settled better this year as the routines have been familiar to the children.

I heard Jenni speak recently too!! It was my buzz phrase from the event (not TES but elsewhere)

Does this type of target setting happen in PVI settings so forcefully?? Somehow I don't think so. Do children develop and succeeed without it - yes they do. Do I know the impact of my work without targets - yes I do. Tracking progress is important but targets don't make progress happen!!

It's good to hear you have a more sympathetic approach based on where the children actually start and then end.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)