Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Need Advice!

Hi all

Well looks like thats it for me! Come Oct half term there arent the number of children to employ me...well about 3 under 2 yrs old suddenly turn 3yrs and thats it! :o Its not definate but heavily implied (if you know what I mean) given the finances of the pre-school. May change if the numbers go up after xmas but Im not sure I can hang around waiting.Is it unreasonable to think so? They are limiting the numbers of under 3yrs until they have enough to pay for extra staff member but as a parent would you wait around or find somewhere else? Supervisor already knows of one mum doing this as comm could not give her the days she wanted.

Supervisor is pulling hair out...still no deputy recruited so using agency, other assistant just starting NVQ (but supervisor thinks she is not quite up to job) and me who does a lot of the admin, filing, paperwork etc gone! Plus I cover lunch club on some days as no one else can.

Daft thing is that Im going on my child protection course tonight, doing my EYFS course on thurs (whole month at night) and the comm are paying me to do it.

Cant seem to find anything else either as already need qualification which I have not got. PLus got told today you need to do at last 3 days in pre-school to get on NVQ course.

Bit disappointed. Anyone got any words of wisdom?

Edited by marley

wish I had...

Just seems to me a bit unfair to let you go and then re employ you as they need you.. perhaps you could say that you will not be able to return if they do this.. or ask for them to pay you to do the admin and paperwork which you already do for that period if you are willing to do so.. I just hate to think of all the money they are spending on Agency staff...

(Pity you are so far away I know of an excellent setting who would support you!)

Inge

Gosh!

I'm in a similar situation, I'm currently begging the committee to find me a new member of staff or at least a guarenteed checked volunteer or I'm going to have to turn people away. They keep saying there is no money to employ an extra but then there never will be if I can't take the children on for the days THEY want.

What a situation!

Rachel

P.S where are you and what qualifications do you have :o

What a great shame Marley & I'm sorry but it is so very, very short sighted of them. How can they pay agency staff, pay you to do courses and then say they cant employ you? I'm afraid I would be inclined to do as Inge suggests and say you probably wont be available after Xmas- Ridiculous situation.

I'm a committee member of a PSLA branch and at our last meeting,the Dev Workers were saying that there are 3 groups in my area who have lost their leaders this half term and are not replacing them as they cannot afford to. All have deputies that are willing to be acting leaders (I would imagine still at a deputies salary though)

All have deputies that are willing to be acting leaders (I would imagine still at a deputies salary though)

No offence intended when I say MORE FULL THEM!!

I would certainly not stay on my Deputy money to do the Supervisors role and I don't think anyone should be asked to!!! xD:o

If you are running a setting your job description would say SUPERVISOR and so should you WAGE SLIP!!!!!

Could you ask the agency if they have any vacancies? Perhaps the setting could reemploy you via the agency, at extra cost when they don't have anybody after Xmas!

I know it is a very difficult situation to be in financially but surely they cannot just expect you to be available on a whim. You might not be available, then they'd have the extra expense not to mention hassle of recriuting someoneelse. And they know how difficult that is. Surely they could weather the storm of the 6 weeks after half-term for the sake of continuity of care. Maybe legally when children hit the magical 3 extra staff are not needed but they don't just change overnight? As has been said the ratios are minimum.

Just a shame you couldn't do the deputy's job.

We used to employ a member of staff from January to July to cover busy times, but in recent years we have employed this person all year round because we want that continuity of care, and there is always something that needs doing and we have invested so much into training etc.

I do hope something turns up. Fingers crossed for you.

Shiney, my thouhts exactly. There is no way I would do my job on my deputies salary. I mean no direspect to her but she has her job and her salary reflects this & I have mine and my salary reflects that. She wouldn't do mine on a deputy's salary either. Maybe they are paying them leaders wages, theyw ould still be saving themselves a salary, I'm just assumming that they aren't. Funny tjhat it's three groups around here in the same situation thpugh

Could you ask the agency if they have any vacancies? Perhaps the setting could reemploy you via the agency, at extra cost when they don't have anybody after Xmas!

I know it is a very difficult situation to be in financially but surely they cannot just expect you to be available on a whim. You might not be available, then they'd have the extra expense not to mention hassle of recriuting someoneelse. And they know how difficult that is. Surely they could weather the storm of the 6 weeks after half-term for the sake of continuity of care. Maybe legally when children hit the magical 3 extra staff are not needed but they don't just change overnight? As has been said the ratios are minimum.

Just a shame you couldn't do the deputy's job.

We used to employ a member of staff from January to July to cover busy times, but in recent years we have employed this person all year round because we want that continuity of care, and there is always something that needs doing and we have invested so much into training etc.

I do hope something turns up. Fingers crossed for you.

Just spoken to my friend on the committee and she said that me going is not set in stone yet! Its going to a vote...when heavens knows as next meeting not until 9 Nov.Its the uncertainty of it all i think. I am still working without contract after refusing to sign the last one they tried to give me...wanted me to be totally flexible on which 2 days of the week they had me! Not good for my own family life. My youngest son starts school full time after xmas so will have to re-think my options then. Its just ideal as this pre-school feeds his school, is right next door and so no problems for me to drop him off at school and walk up to pres-chool. Working at another pre-school mean using the before school club for both him and my daughter plus I know they are fully booked already on most days!

As for continuity of care thats my big bug bear too. I devised parent questionnaire that was handed out last week (for SEF) and things coming back are that people like the staff, think we provide good quality care and hope that all the staff changes are in the past. Im not even sure if they are aware that the agency girl is only agency as she has been with us since Sept! And yes those under 3yrs dont suddenly mature and become easier over night just bcause they have turned 3! I feel for my keychildren....I have really got to know them! How is that going to look to parents when they have to be reassigned another.

Supervisor thinks that she has absolutely no control now over staffing levels (remember she sent them official letter saying she felt that she needed 4 staff to run the setting as it should?). Been no official reponse from them. To be honest we all just feel like glorified babysitters at the moment. Not getting chance to do focused obs, just scribbling on post its as and when, taking photos,not able to sit down and do keyperson things. I have just spent own time sorting out learning journals. Been waiting since start of term for ink for the computer to print out photo. Comm wont let us spend any money, they want to order everything. Supervisor just ordered £200 of paper, glue, pens, backing paper etc as she has got fed up of waiting for them.

She is doing her degree too and wants me to ask you lovely people a question (glad you have to be a member to view this section). She is struggling with work, home life and degree and would like to drop her hours at the pre-school to concentrate on her degree. Is there anyway the comm would allow this, consider it etc? it may just make them realise how lucky they are to have her seeing as they cant recruit a suitable deputy, what would happen if she left?

Sorry to drone on! Would consider re-signing (dont want to do it to supervisor.) but I know that there is someone waiting in the wings to pick up where i would leave (Ex committee member aked if there was any jobs going last week!). Its just a ridiculous situation.

Another question...should i email chair and say i still havent got contract, what will be my days after half term to see what she actually says or should i wait until she gets back to me?

Thanks everyone!

It really does make me sad to see dedicated willing staff treated like this, and for committees to be so short sighted that the long term care of the children seems to be lost in monetary values.

we have often struggled with money and balance sheets and budgets, but with cooperation of all always seem to pull through , but must admit to never even considering going to an agency.. knowing the fees and costs I could employ 2 other staff on the one wage paid out...and would prefer to do so given the option.. it is just those level 3 rules which now apply not allowing anyone in training to be deemed suitable.. that causes a huge stumbling block.

If your supervisor asks to reduce hours I assume she will not be paid for them and then they would have to employ 2 agency to cover the setting.. could they afford this? She can only ask..

In our setting we support and have allowed any staff doing training the option to have extra days off unpaid if they want to.. sometimes regularly or occasionally if that is what they want. But i know all will not have the luxury of being able to do this.

Really don't have any answers to this one..

Inge

Just spoken to my friend on the committee and she said that me going is not set in stone yet! Its going to a vote...when heavens knows as next meeting not until 9 Nov.Its the uncertainty of it all i think

Think you need to start campaigning now then - never mind the US elections - vote MARLEY! Something subtle, nothing to rock the boat!

You have keychildren!! Would these parents support your case, do they know the full extent of your situation - parent power might be useful here.

Have the committee been in to a session to see the difficulty you are facing with the care and education of your children with the level of staffing you currently have?

Regarding your supervisor, has your setting applied for funding from the Graduate Leader Fund - funding for staff who will commit to undertaking Early Years Professional Status (level 6)? Think I'm right on this, but hopefully somebody will correct me if I am wrong. Might only be available to full-day care providers but aren't we all now anyway since the beginning of September or is there still a distinction???

With regard to your last question, that is a difficult one. It might be prudent to be cautious, especially as you say there is probably somebody waiting in the wings. Tempting as it might be to try to clarify your current situation.

Keep us informed.