Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Black History Month/diwali

Guest lesboyle

Guest lesboyle

Hello - hope you're all having great weather! I would really like to spend my weekend outdoors making the most of it and NOT spending it racking my brains for ideas for next week's planning!

I have a nursery class of 3-5 year olds, many are EAL and my particular group are quite young (emotionally and intellectually). I have just starting teaching this age group and the catchment is a very mixed group - lots of children from all different nationalities, languages and cultures and so next week we have decided to introduce the topic of Black History month and the staff always do quite a big Diwali input each year. But I havent ever covered either topic with children so young - can anyone help (please...)?

Lesley

If you do a Forum search on Diwali you will get lots of ideas.

If you Google Black History Month you will find a lot of sites about this. I am wondering if this is something you need to introduce to three to five year olds, or is best left until the children are older and they have more understanding of the issues and events.

I agree difficult to adress such concepts with children so young.

Could you maybe get parents involved, as you have children with EAL, could you maybe ask parents for a short song / nursery rhyme in their home language that you could learn and share together, celebrating the differences within the nursery family cultures.?

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)