Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

There Is Another Way!

Hi, I have reading with interest about lots of settings completely fed up with their committees. I have written a few months back about buying our Pre-school and setting up as a Community Interest Company and I am pleased to inform that I have finally done it! We closed the group in July as a Committee run Pre-school and I opened as a Private Provider on the 8th September. I worked alongside the committee to ensure the group stayed open and minimize disruption to families and children and with lots and lots of hard work and hours of paperwork, I am pleased to say it was the best thing I have done.

We work out of a Village Hall, provide 8 sessions a week with 26 children and I currently have a waiting list on most sessions! I have also just secured a start up grant for £7655 from our LA as effectively we are a new group and the help and support this will give us is fantastic.

If anyone would like any help about this subject I am willing to give you any advise or support necessary, it wasn't easy and there are lots and lots of small steps you need to take to ensure all legal frameworks are covered but it can be done.

The best thing is I am the one who now makes decisions, no more meetings to agree on equipment etc!!

Good luck,

Allison

Well done Allsonhunt :o

Have you seen THIS TOPIC

I'm sure cirhossa1 would love to find out more about how you achieved your new set up.

I'm also sure many others will be contacting you as committee issues, especially with regards to consistency of management, has been discussed a lot lately.

Best wishes for your future success, well done. xD

Peggy

Hi Alison. This is of great interest to me!! How did you go about this? What was your starting point? Was there someone you contacted? Was it through PSLA?

This year I have retained my officers from last year, so the committee will run well as they have experience, next year I loose all of my officers and don't see anyone on the horizon!! Its a long way off I know but never the less it is my job and really my life so it is always at the back of my mind!! :o

Hi, I have reading with interest about lots of settings completely fed up with their committees. I have written a few months back about buying our Pre-school and setting up as a Community Interest Company and I am pleased to inform that I have finally done it! We closed the group in July as a Committee run Pre-school and I opened as a Private Provider on the 8th September. I worked alongside the committee to ensure the group stayed open and minimize disruption to families and children and with lots and lots of hard work and hours of paperwork, I am pleased to say it was the best thing I have done.

We work out of a Village Hall, provide 8 sessions a week with 26 children and I currently have a waiting list on most sessions! I have also just secured a start up grant for £7655 from our LA as effectively we are a new group and the help and support this will give us is fantastic.

If anyone would like any help about this subject I am willing to give you any advise or support necessary, it wasn't easy and there are lots and lots of small steps you need to take to ensure all legal frameworks are covered but it can be done.

The best thing is I am the one who now makes decisions, no more meetings to agree on equipment etc!!

Good luck,

Allison

hi Allison I am in the process of doing exactly the same and am very interested in any pointers you may be able to give. I have approached EY with regards to a start up grant and was told there may be a very small sum so I am glad you have secured a decent amount and will now hopefully have something to go on. Look forward to hearing from you Andrea

Thanks for all your best wishes, my starting point was to write to the committee explaining my position and what I intended to do. I then wrote to every parent also explaining my intentions and asking for them to support me. The feed back was extremely positive and we called a meeting which was led by the PSLA and Essex CC. The only way we could 'close' the Pre-school was to ensure that no parent/s wished to stand for a committee at the next AGM. According to our constitution this is the only way that Pre-school can close and become a private business. However I must say PSLA do not want to see committee run pre-school close so you may be hit with some resistance. At the meeting it went to a vote and the parents voted that the Pre-school closes, it would then become open for any professional to open the Pre-school up in September. Luckily I was able to secure the Hall and apply for my Ofsted Registration quickly, so there was very little fret of anyone else stepping in, however it is something you may need to bear in mind.

I hope this is of some help to get started with,

Allison

hi Allison I am in the process of doing exactly the same and am very interested in any pointers you may be able to give. I have approached EY with regards to a start up grant and was told there may be a very small sum so I am glad you have secured a decent amount and will now hopefully have something to go on. Look forward to hearing from you Andrea

no