Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Principles And Reception Class Planning

Hi there - before I ask for some advice, I would just like to say how much I appreciate this forum and the wealth of advice and resources it offers - thank you very much!

I work as a TA in a shared YR1/Reception class and am a little confused about the practice in the Reception class. They are mostly following EYFS practice but are joining year 1 for discrete lessons in Art, Music, ICT & PE (with the exception of PE, this is all bums on seats, national curriculum stuff) I thought that Reception now had their own curriculum and that

teaching subjects in a discrete format was not exactly what the principles of the EYFS is about? I know the obvious thing is to ask the teacher, but I don't want to offend/tread on any toes, especially as I'm probably not sure what I'm talking about!!! I would love to hear from other mixed classes...what do you do?

Thanks in advance,

Lynnja

Guest tinkerbell

I am a teacher in a r/yr1 class and it is a nightmare to work.You say the EYFS is about continous provision not discrete teaching,I agree, but if your teacher has been on the courses i have been on they would have been given mixed messages.

We have to do daily discrete phonics,and my LEA say we should be doing 2 guided reading sessions and 1 guided/shared writing,this is for reception.Once I start sending reding books home I will also be hearing individual readers.....on top of this I do bums on seats teaching for the year1 some of the time!!

talk to your teacher and help her work out a timetable and ways of providing continous provision for all the children .i have an an amazing TA who i consider to be a partner in the classroom.I love my TA asking and we attend our LEA's EYFS meetings together.

Tinkerbellx

I have a mixed year 1/2 class of 29 children. In that class I have 17 still working on the EYFS (CONVERTED TO p SCALES)all the way up to 2c of the NC. After trying to work with the bums on seats expectation of some school leaders ( I am a leader of the non bum on seat mentality) I have thrown caution to the wind and operate my KS1 class like a foundation class. Its early days, but its suprising once you take the timetable out and put common sense in how much better the children get on. We still get coverage, but taking time to observe as well as teach has its place in the rest of the school too. God bless the changes! :o

I'm in pre-school, Lynnja - so I can't be of much help, I'm afraid. Just wanted to welcome you to the Forum!

Maz

PS: I just noticed you there, LUKIETOM - welcome aboard, too!

Edited by HappyMaz

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. Tinkerbell, I'll be taking your advice and talking more to the class teacher...never know, might learn something! xD Thanks too for the welcome, Maz. My latest predicament is children taking a discreet :o wee wee in the sandpit...

Lynnja

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)