Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Yikes!

I don't know if you remember, but back in June I was thrilled with the Ofsted inspection that gave us a GOOD grade, having previously had an INADEQUATE (from before I joined). Phew! Well, the early year advisory teacher phoned today to warn us that the primary school (who's site we are on) is due an inspection any day and it is now Ofsted's policy to inspect all premises on the site, regardless of when they were last inspected. Which means we may be inspected again! Has anyone else had this?

I feel confident that we are even better now than we were in June, but a little part of me thinks' what if we don't have such a nice inspector, who is lookng for dfferent things and they give us a satisfactory rating'. I'd be gutted after being so elated over the GOOD (and using that fact in all our literature, press releases etc!!).

No, I am NOT panicking.......yet!!!!!

I work in a nursery that is LA in the morning and private in the afternoon.

We are attached to a school.

The private bit, lunch club, afternoon nursery and after school club which are all managed by me and run via the school got inspected late May.

Our first inspection since the move to private provision.

We had outstandings and a few goods.

Obviously I was thrilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However school is due a full inspection at any time and we too will be "done" again!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it s because of the implementation of the EYFS and also the changes in registration.

We are now firmly under the schools umbrella and will be judged with them.

I worry that a different inspector will see or be looking ofr different things!

Someone told me that afternoon nursery ofsted wouldn't be like a "PROPER" ofsted too............... oh to have her see how wrong she is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose we will both have to se on this one!

Good luck!

Don't worry, easy for me to say, I know.

As I read your posts my first thoughts was that your situations really bring in the 'value' of using the SEF formats, these will show 'progression' from your last inspections. The fact that the second inspection is so close will make it that all the information in your updated SEF's will be 'fresh' and easily evidenced (compared to progress achieved within a longer time scale)

So, I'd say, update your SEF's highlight in red all the progress since your last inspection, how can they not then upgrade your results. :(xD

I assume that the School Ofsted report will have a seperate 'written' section for the nursery provision, so that even if the school gets an overall satisfactory (for example) the nursery provision could still be shown as scoring higher? :o

Peggy

If Chicken Licken's setting and the school are separate entities, even though on the same site, they will each get their own report.

We are in the same position and when the primary school on whose grounds we are, were inspected last November, we were 'done' too, thankfully with an early years inspector.

Sound advice from Peggy. Good luck for the imspection and don't forget to tell us how you got on. :o

I don't know if you remember, but back in June I was thrilled with the Ofsted inspection that gave us a GOOD grade, having previously had an INADEQUATE (from before I joined). Phew! Well, the early year advisory teacher phoned today to warn us that the primary school (who's site we are on) is due an inspection any day and it is now Ofsted's policy to inspect all premises on the site, regardless of when they were last inspected. Which means we may be inspected again! Has anyone else had this?

I feel confident that we are even better now than we were in June, but a little part of me thinks' what if we don't have such a nice inspector, who is lookng for dfferent things and they give us a satisfactory rating'. I'd be gutted after being so elated over the GOOD (and using that fact in all our literature, press releases etc!!).

No, I am NOT panicking.......yet!!!!!

Hi chickenlicken

We had our ofsted 7 months ago with a good outcome and were done again 2 weeks ago as we are on a school site. I felt this time it was very much like a school inspection (worked in schools for over 20 years) and we all felt that he was very thorough, professional and positive.

Our inspector was usually a lead inspector for schools. So we were treated with the same ethos, a telephone call 5 days after inspection to confirm factual comments. Then a written report to check and hopefully by tomorrow on the web. He did not go through cupboards, check first aid boxes but talked to all staff about these things and took our word.

I asked if this is the way inspections are going and his answer was those on school site are as they are trying to achieve the status of LA nursery schools!

We had 2 recommendations last time which both had been addressed and had 2 this time as i had written them in the SEF.

We enjoyed this Ofsted and were very pleased with the outcomes. Even though the overall ourcome was the same.

Hope this helps and good luck

Alison

• 3 months later...

I jut heard today that the school will be inspected next Wednesday/Thursday. :o

We did however speak with Ofsted recently who told us that it is UNLIKELY be will be inspected as we are seperate to the school (even tho we're on their grounds).

But I still feel the need to go in on Sunday and have a tidy around lol

I jut heard today that the school will be inspected next Wednesday/Thursday. :o

We did however speak with Ofsted recently who told us that it is UNLIKELY be will be inspected as we are seperate to the school (even tho we're on their grounds).

But I still feel the need to go in on Sunday and have a tidy around lol

Good Luck. The nurseries on school sites in Essex, seem to have all been inspected with the schools even if they were inspected fairly recently. (As we were)

The school informed us who our inspector was going to be as the names where given to them. If your relationship with the school is good could you ask them? The HT in school made the enquiries to who would be on the site, then informed us.

Well, they showed up yesterday!! But she wasn't an early years inspector and she isn't coming back today, so it was qute different to what we had before. She had a bee in her bonnet about documentation and grilled my administrator/registrar for an hour. Then she grilled me for an hour on EYFS, planning etc - I was so glad I had a print out of the SEF and my action plan to hand. She seemed impressed with what we did and all the comments she made at the review were good. :o I feel I can relax now. Phew!!!

Thanks for letting us know, and well done for being prepared and getting through the 'grilling'. Must say ironic that the admin gets equal amount of emphasis (in terms of grilling) as the EYFS. Shows the importance they place on management systems I suppose.

Peggy

You're right Peggy and she didnt spend as much time observing in the room as other EY inspectors - and she didn't even go outside and yet is making one of the recommendations to 'enhance our outdoor area' - I think she chose that because it was in my action plan.

Hi, we are a pre-school that rents a room from a school. We were inspected today along with the school. I will say that he was lovely and played with the children, he thanked staff members and children for making him feel welcome. He did not grill us, but I will say that I put loads of things in front of him to look at, and he did say that we were the first group that he had inspected that had made a start on our SEF. He did not look in cupboards, but took our word for things. Our inspection lasted 3 hours and about 30 mins feed back at the end. Since then I have been walking around with a smile on my face, it was so much better than the ones we had before. One thing he did tell us was that anyone that was inspected in the summer last year could be inspected at any time, because of the change of curriculum.

Sarah

Thanks for sharing your experience with us Sarah. I'm really glad that it turned out to be a relatively painless experience! Well done to you and your staff - keep up with the good work that I'm sure you're doing. :o