Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Humpty Dumpty

Hello everyone!

Does anybody have any ideas on the theme Humpty Dumpty. We are going to make finger puppets....and that is as far as ive got.......!

We are doing Humpty Dumpty this week.

Yesterday we went out for a walk looking at different walls and the children made rubbings, which we've displayed.

Today we have been sticking dyed egg shell pieces on to egg shapes to make mosaic patterns.

Our role play area is a building site with large lego bricks and all our builders tools, the girls have really enjoyed it and were wearing all the hard hats!

Oh and we're also growing cress in egg shells.

You could also make egg sandwiches or do some baking.

Hope this helps

Rachel

You could read the story of little lumpty and acted it out

you could also have boiled eggs and unboiled eggs.... drop them from a height and see if they break... then discuss why etc.. kids loved that one

we also stained the eggs with teabags, hard boiled, then used toothbrushes and toothpaste to clean them, this lead onto a discussion about our teeth

write a letter from humpty askig for the soliders to put him together again or saying sorry for sitting on a high wall...

Use a humpty dumpty outline on thin card which the children can collage, paint, etc. Then, when dry let them cut it up. You can pre-rule cutting lines or model for the children, explaining to use only say 3 or 4 lines. Then let them cut it up. Provide an envelope each which they can write on and they can keep their puzzle in it. You could do a Hide & Seek game with one puzzle, the owner hides the pieces and all the other children have to find and reassemble.

Just a thought!

We made Humpty Dumpty puzzles. We laminated pictures of Humpty Dumpty and cut them into different size pieces. The children then had to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. Really easy to differentiate as we cut Humpty into 4, 6, 8 and 10 pieces. Laminate black and white pictures and the children can use white board pens to colour him in. Have you read the story of Little Lumpty? My children always love listening to this story.

You could read the story of little lumpty and acted it out

you could also have boiled eggs and unboiled eggs.... drop them from a height and see if they break... then discuss why etc.. kids loved that one

we also stained the eggs with teabags, hard boiled, then used toothbrushes and toothpaste to clean them, this lead onto a discussion about our teeth

write a letter from humpty askig for the soliders to put him together again or saying sorry for sitting on a high wall...

Little Lumpty is my all time favourite story but did you realise that it is no longer in print? When I left my last nursery I wanted to buy a copy as a present and had little luck!

What a shame - every setting should have a copy!!!!

Thank you everyone. You all have fab ideas. It's such a shame that Little Lumpty is out of print-i just tried to find it and its impossible....... :o never mind xx

It's such a shame that Little Lumpty is out of print-i just tried to find it and its impossible....... never mind xx
xD

I've not got a copy...honest :o

I found a copy!! Yay!! Alleluia. I found one from a teacher at my school. does anyoneknow if u can change your profile name? xx

Yes you can Hannah - pm Steve or Sue and they will help you out with it. :o

• 5 years later...
Guest LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

A theme for Humpty Dumpty could include some of the following, especially for Easter:-

Egg and spoon races

Cooking eggs - hard boiled, fried, scrambled, poached - looking at the changes as they are cooked.

Easter nests - to explore the changes in the chocolate as it cooks.

Making Eggs for Easter using sequins and glitter in the play dough.

Look at frogs spawn or the life cycle of an egg

Egg rolling using wooden or plastic eggs

Find out information about eggs on line or in non-fiction books, new vocab : shell, yolk, Egg White (albumin),oval etc.

We are reading Little Lumpty and Egg Drop too! I got my copy from a library that was closing down, they had no idea how much it is on Amazon and I got it for £2.00!

Cooking eggs in different ways to compare the...my class loved seeing how different the parts of the eggs looked.

Construction - can you build a wall strong enough and wide enough to hold a boiled egg?

You could also ask the children what they want to do, might not be Humpty at all but ' where does an egg come from' ' what do hens eat' and how soft is a baby chick?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)