Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Topic Of 'our School'

Guest Really

Hi

I am looking for some inspiration on a Sunday afternoon when my brain seems to have given up!!

We are doing the topic of Our School in Reception and I want some ideas for possible activities.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved!!

Thanks.

The obvious things that come to mind are maps of school/classroom, designing/extending outdoor play area (models, pictures etc), graphs of how children travel to and from school, favourite activities/school dinners, directions from one place to another, measuring length of corridors/classroom (how many steps between two points?). If inspiration strikes will post again! :D

How about a small group going on a sound hunt around the school, recording what they hear then playing it back to the rest of the class and they guess what the noise is/where it can be found?

Borrowing a child or two from each class of the school and getting your class to draw around them, their hand, foot etc then ordering them to find out if children get bigger as they go up the school.

Toward the end of the topic, when the children know the school a little better, you could also ask the children to think about what they do and do not like about the school, how they they think the school could be improved - this through up some interesting comments from my class last year which were easily followed up by the children themselves, like the school not being bright enough, so we spent a day making some huge Jackson Pollock style murals which are now on permenant display through the school, both inside and out!

Hope these help! :D

Also, leading on from the map idea, when I did this I sent the children in small groups with a digital camera to take a photo of all the rooms through the school, I then printed them out and gave them a task of sticking them in the correct place on a school map.

Something else which we found the children really enjoyed doing, and which came in really useful was the children taking a photo of all staff in the school, we then stuck each photo on a seperate page and the children decided what each persons job was and this was also stuck on the same page. We made it in to a book and the children often referred to it if they were telling me about an event in the playground but couldn't remember the staff members name! (it was also quite a giggle for the staff, finding out what they children thought they did - especially the head teacher!)

What about children 'interviewing' members of staff about their job - what they like/dislike about it. We did this last year and the children asked about what their job entailed and how they could help them to make their job easier - the cleaner talked about putting their rubbish in the bin etc. Also Photos of members of staff to match to their room, items of equipment etc.

Just a few quick thoughts.

Harricroft.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)