Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Celebrations And Festivals

Hi everyone,

Looking for some words of wisdom really. Was thinking of doing a 'Let's Celebrate' topic next half term to fit in with Xmas and cover some of R.E ELG's which I didn't cover that well last year. If anyone has any ideas or plans they would be willing to share that would be great. Was thinking of covering Xmas, Bonfire Night. But need to think about other cultures and not really sure for that. Was thinking of looking at how other countries celebrate Xmas but was'nt sure if was enough.

Actually, as you can see I am not really sure about alot a the moment but have still got a few weeks yet.

Any advice gratefully received.

Divali is before Christmas and Hannuak as well.Best to check a religious calendar and check on the faiths in your class. We've had an Eid afternoon today and will be doing Divali as we have children of Muslim and Hindu faiths. Then we will do Christmas for 2 weeks.3 Major religions is enough in a half term.

Hi cjane,

There have been various discussions about different religious festivals in the past. Try a forum search to see what you can find. :o

I shall move this topic into Observation, Assessment and Planning for you.

We have done something similar to this in the past and made it into Festivals of Light as the winter months are traditionally the time for celebrating the return of light. You can go off at tangents about the stars and moon if you like too. There is a lot of information out there if you search for festivals of light, and you can even bring in the Christmas tree at the end as a symbol of new life to tie to the symbolism of the lights. Sorry I could go on about symbolism here for some time so will stop now....

I always like to think broader than just festivals and consider other reasons why people celebrate, eg birth of baby, wedding n the family, passing an exam, or simply celebrating the children achievements.. this is quite a timely one in what is for man their first term in their setting and can be a good way for them to reflect on their learning at the same time.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Was thinking of buying some books as I am not really very clued up on other religions and cultures. Is there any anyone can suggest?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)