Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Golden Rules

Hi does anyone have any advice on setting a few rules for out nursery room. We have some challenging children and while we are tuned in to their learning I feef wwe need to set some clear boundaries. I would appreciate any info on this. Also as it needs to be visual as well as verbal I neeed some basic images of things like ' Our hands are not for hurting'., just as an example. I would appreciate any advice or methods you have used which have helped.

Thanks

Sunshine :o

We have the mr men golden rules.... these work really well.... we have a different saying for each behaviour we would like to see.. making sure its positive....

we have a set of house rules eg we share toys, we do not hurt our friends etc.. we have a big book with these rules in and photos of the children that we look at in circle time occasionally :o

I always found it useful to draw up the rules with the children, giving them a little guidance on what sort of things we needed rules about and why and making sure they were phrased positively. This way they seem to have more ownership and understanding of them. :o

Hi,

I have recently put 'nursery rules' into place and find they work very well when 'disciplining'.

Instead of focussing on the negative, i.e. 'we dont hurt our friends' make it positive i.e. 'we must be kind to our friends' and when 'disciplining' refer back to them with the child. I also find it useful to remind the children of the 'rules' each day during register or circle time asking 'can anyone remember our 'nursery rules'?' The children have all responded really well to this, they even remind other children of the 'rules'.

Hi,

I have recently put 'nursery rules' into place and find they work very well when 'disciplining'.

Instead of focussing on the negative, i.e. 'we dont hurt our friends' make it positive i.e. 'we must be kind to our friends' and when 'disciplining' refer back to them with the child. I also find it useful to remind the children of the 'rules' each day during register or circle time asking 'can anyone remember our 'nursery rules'?' The children have all responded really well to this, they even remind other children of the 'rules'.

Children are definitely very able at policing themselves and take great delight in pointing out any crimes committed! :o Welcome to the forum tiggers. xD

Our nursery rules were decided by the children...with our help!!! we made a display which is in our book corner and we often remind them at circle time.

We have kind hands

Remember to walk indoors

We have gentle voices

We take care of our toys and each other.......I think that's what they are!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)