Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Qualifications Of Support Staff

Dear All,

Can anyone tell me if it is in black and white anywhere about the qualifications TAs should have when working in the Foundation Stage?

The reason that I am asking is because I believe that my Headteacher is replacing my full-time TA (experience of 7 years) with a student TA of L2. I am unhappy about this and am looking for some evidence to back up my argument, but I'm not sure if/where I ahve seen this.

Thanks

Im happy to be corrected on this but if its a reception class, I dont think there is any legislation regarding the qualifications of any TA since there is no legislation that you must have one.

However if its a nursery class, I do believe the EYFS guidance suggests that a nursery class should have a teacher and a level 3 qualified person.

Can you ask your head wh they are making this decison and at such a critical point in the term whene the chidlren are likely to be just settling?

Pretty sure that TA's working in reception don't have to have specific qualifications. I worked in a school for many years and it was very common for the head teacher to move TA's from one year group to another. It was good in one way because TA's could cover anywhere in the school because they had experience of every year group but not so good if you had built up a good relationship with your teacher/TA. Always seemed a bit silly to me to break up a good partnership.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)