Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Circle Time

I am looking for any type of suggestion here PLEASE!!!.

We are looking at our circle time which we carry out in the middle of the session before snack time.

At present all of the children sit together for either a story,songs,music & movement session,maths or literacy activities.

SInce coming back this term and having 28 2 year olds it has beecome quite horrendous!!

HAve looked at the idea of splitting into age/ability groups. Scrapping altogether.

Any suggestions of what you all do would be greatly appreciated!!

We are having the same problem - we dont have 28 two years old - the time between tidying uo, story time and snack time seems a hamble - so noisy - noboby tidying etc. Thinking of trying rolling snack again but staff not too keen.

I look forward to hearing any suggestions a swell.

smiles

Ours was the same, tidying up I mean- as soon as a child saw what was happening they would run around yelling tidy up time and in some cases grabbing toys from others, often there would be 1/2 dozen or more doing this- chaos. So we started a tidy up board. We have photographs of all the activities/equipment that is out on the left (laminated board)with strips of velcro attaching them and photographs of the child tyding up next to them. This has worked brilliantly - we sit the children down and they go through each activity looking for their photo and telling each other what they are doing. We set this up on a Monday and keep the ssme all week for sand/dressing up etc. Things that may get changed like puzzles or games woukd still have the same children tyding up. When Ofsted where in lastyear they were most impressed at how calm amd organised it was, she actually said most settings I go into have terrible problems with tyding up. It was a lot of work to set up but has been worth it- even our little ones that have come in the last few weeks are now getting the hang of it. the childrten love looking at the boards each day and discussing who is doing what- we get the occasional one trying to move a friends photo to be with theirs sometimes!!

Circle time/quiet time call it what you will- we have abanded ours for a short time. We have too many little ones that are makng it an ordeal for themselves and staff- so I'm leaving it until after half term and then will try again.

28 2 year olds what a nightmare !!

we have circle time at the end of session and the majority of children are two year olds, we had a phase of it not working so we shortened circle time and did lots of action songs to keep the childrens attention, over time once the children where all sitting and joining in regularly we then started introducing quieter songs, simple story books and built up to activities,

we also noticed a big improvement when the children sat on chairs in a circle rather than in a circle on the floor

I hope you manage to make a difference with your circle time.

We split our carpet times up last year. We did 'whats going on-what shall we do' as soon as the last expected child had arrived before they were all fully engaged. Nothing inbetween (well rolling snack, outdoor , focus activitiy etc :o ) At the end of the session we tided up then did a 'short teaching' type input.We had special back row chairs for good behaviours and that worked well.

Our circle time is at the end of the session for about 10 mins before hometime.....we judge the mood of the children and then decide what we shall do..could be singing sack, story, favourite nursery rhymes, musical instruments anything really.

We try to encourage everyone to join in but if they dont it's not a big deal......and generally after a couple of times missing out they slowly wander in :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)