Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pet Policy

A parent has kindly offered to give the nursery a 7 week old baby dwark rabbit with hutch and all its feeding equipment, food etc , very generous :o She has recenlty brought 7 in to show the children and have a handling session with and because the children were all very interested and gentle with them she made us this offer.

I have accepted the rabbit and said that I would just have to find out a few things first about keeping pets in nursery. Does anyone have a policy on this and what are your experiences with pets in nursery?

She is lovely and very sweet and I know this experience would benefit many of the children xD

We don't have a policy, but we did ask parents if they thought it was a good idea. Almost everyone said yes, so we adopted one from a rescue centre (it was young and well handled). A lovely misty grey dwarf rabbit.

We had a fund raiser where the children had to guess the name of the rabbit for £1. This was excellent and we raised enough money to feed and bed the rabbit for a year!! He is old now and has retired to my house where he has a lovely existance with the run of the garden and older children to fuss him!! My 1 year old is frightened of him!! :o

It's probably a bit different for me as a childminder but I have numerous pets (& I MEAN lots! :o ) in my setting.

I have a risk assessment for each - cleaning, keeping food out of reach, worming (rabbits, too!) vaccinations (rabbits, too!) handling (allergies - one Mum is highly allergic & her lips swell if she comes into contact with rabbit fur, even if it's on me or her son. We wear specially kept fleeces and change out of them before coming indoors)

I also have a "pet plan" with pictures, reminding children how to treat the pets. Just the basics - no poking, pulling ears, tails etc

Ofsted used to say you must discuss with parents before introducing a new pet into the setting but I can't find it in the EYFS. Think I'd do a letter to the parents though as an "example of best practice.

Hope that helps,

Nona

hello everyone, I have asked the parents and have had no objections....so that's good! Thanks to Sue to sending me details of her policy so I will now get that done, and also a risk assessment.

Thought you may like to see our new addition...she has yet to be named and we are holding a competition with that children and parents to name her. :oxD

Edited by Mrsb

Thought you may like to see our new addition...she has yet to be named and we are holding a competition with that children and parents to name her. xD:(

Did your photo not upload, Mrsb - or have you decided to call your rabbit Harvey? :o

Did your photo not upload, Mrsb - or have you decided to call your rabbit Harvey? :o

Oh where did that hop of too!!! will try again, and no she is not called Harvey.....lol..! happened again! what's going on?

one more try.....

Edited by Mrsb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)