Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Promotion? Or A Sideways Movement?

I have some "good" news I think for a change.

I recently was invited to apply for a senior nursery nurse position within the day nursery. I was led to believe that it would give me the "clout" to make the changes and lead by example without the constant complaints being made about me from other members of staff.

I have in the past 18 months turned a pre-school department in a day nursery from a place where children come in and are looked after, to a happy place where adults and children learn together, from each other and parents have all commented on the changes!!!!!

Having been interviewed, my most frightening experience ever, a panel of 3 work collegues, and a choice of 3 chairs, which do I pick left, right, middle?????? Is it a psychological test?? And a bombardment of questions that went through the ears and stayed there......I mumbled something!!!!! and apparently outshone any competition with my confidence?!?!

I have since discovered that I am to be taken from my dept and be used to try and bring our other dept (2-3 year olds) up to standard.

When promotion is supposed to be such a positive experience, why do I feel so bad.... Ihave so many things I still wanted our Pre-school team to achieve, world snacks, all weather play, Christmas concerts, next years Loopy 'Lympics - you know the score all those things on my Long Term Plan.

What can I do with 2 year olds. It has been so long since I saw one!!!!!!!

Still it's always an extra thing for my CV

Janet

Congratulations to you... I am sure once you get in there you will enjoy the 2 year olds as well.

it always nice to hear of places being happy one that work together.

I hope that you are pleased with your promotion as well.

L

Congratulations! :D

I'd be surprised if you didnt feel abit nervous and apprehensive about the move. :o Presumably your longterm plan can still stand, even if you are not directly involved in moving it forward. And as for the 2 year olds your vision is obviously required there and should it be so much different to what comes after?

Just a thought anyway! xD I'm sure you can make it a happy place to work and play too! :D

Good luck.

I'm only nervous because

I was up against a couple of the staff for the position.

The exsisting, Senior Nursery Nurse to work with, makes it perfectly clear that she does not really like me, and she WILL ALWAYS BE the one and only one.

What will happen to the girls now I've gone - they wanted a bit of a withdrawal period, but it's not going to happen!!!!

I have ordered a load of surestart stuff, I do hope that I may well have got the promotion on my lead by example approach, and not to go in all guns blazing and you MUST change, but things are desperate and people are complaining, it was great before our renovations and rejig, bercause "our" dept was downstairs and all you heard was laughter, children and staff, but now it is quite embarrasing, \i know what I would like to see, but can see the resentment building already!!

I, as a parent would be appalled to come in and see children crying(some for 45 mins) without intervention??

Janet

Janet, when I was approached to take over our setting I was apprehensive but the feedback I had from parents and grandparents after even the first term, was so good that I'm glad I did it. You know how you have turned the pre-school room round and I'm sure you can do the same to the 2-3 year olds room. The management obviously have a great deal of faith in you. Rise above petty resentments, you are bigger than that, if people dont like you and your way of doing things, even if the children are benefitting, then that really is their problem. Obviously you want everyone to be supportive, but some people have very little minds. Very good wishes. Go get 'em. :D:D

Thanks for those words of support, they really mean a lot!!!!!

I am having a hard time accepting promotion, as my own Mum was made redundant in March, and now I am getting promotion!!!!! (in effect it is a revamped version)

Although my Mum accepts it, Dad is not well and needing more and more support:my sister (NNEB qual) resents my appointment, as I did not do the NNEB route to qualified status!!!!!!

My other sister resents my staying with the organisation, even though my mum was made redundant-I'm sleeping with the enemy(literally!!!!!!)

I know I can make positive changes, |I think I just need the courage of my convictions. Hard as it may be I can do it.

Janet

:oxD:( Thanks again - it really helps to know you think I can do it!!!!!

I want to make changes, and I know deep down I can do it!!!!!

Just let me rant and rave from time to time!!!!

Janet :(:( :wacko: xD :rolleyes:

Having worked in the preschool dept and made big changes there, you now have the opportunity to make a difference further down as well. It's just a different sort of challenge and a slightly different approach will be needed. :) I'm sure you'll be up to it though. :)

Just a quick update.......

Job has not quite been what I expected so far!!!!!

I have spent the last 3 days washing snack dishes twice a day, serving lunches and washing those dishes, and cleaning up atferwards.

Not really what I wanted to be doing.

Still it is still early days and next week I hope to spend more time with the under 3's.

Janet

• 2 weeks later...

I think you may be right.

I went into the 2-3 dept last week and was appalled by what met me. Parents being removed of their children at a closed safety gate, children crying and not being comforeted as their parents left. How I changed it!!!!

I led by example. I arrived early and set up the art area (this is my strength) and taking the dept topic of green I introduced a daily painting experience at arrival time. 5 different methods of using paint and equipment (green apple printing, (plastic) frog jumping, green car tracks, mixing yellow and green on a covered table and printing, and dinosaur stomping in porridgey shades of green paint). The parents appeared to be more excited than the children, what are we doing today etc. and they all came over the threshold and were keen to watch, and talk to me.

The person I work alongside is the more established senior staff member (it would appear that my promotion does not warrant a letter to parents) and she would rather sit in the office drinking coffee than be with the children, that is not my thing, I know my areas of strength. It does mean however that my being with the children in whatever dept, means that I appear to be excluded from many desicions which does irritate, especially when I am trying to make progress with the staff and parents. Rant over, thanks for listening

Jambo